Curriculum and Research
We are currently in the process of assessing how different academic departments at Southern address sustainability. This section of the Website will grow in coming months, as we gather information. If you have ideas or information, please contact us.
- Environmental Studies is offered as a freestanding minor with any undergraduate major at Southern.
- Undergraduates may concentrate in Environmental or Marine Studies as part of the Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, or Geography major.
- As part of the First-Year Experience (FYE), incoming freshmen may join the Environmental Learning Community in conjunction with their interlinked Inquiry 101 and Composition 110/111 courses.
- The Master of Science in Environmental Education is a rigorous, inter-disciplinary program designed to enhance students' understanding of environmental sciences, policy development, environmental economics, belief systems, and environmental teaching methods. Though the program was originally developed for classroom teachers, individuals with a wide variety of professional backgrounds matriculate.
- The Master of Science in Urban Studies prepares students for careers in city planning, urban revitalization, urban government management, human resource services, urban education, inter-group relations, and community development.
The Center for Coastal and Marine Studies was established in 2005 to engage undergraduate students and faculty in environmental research focusing on trying to better understand the pressures of human development on natural habitats and find ways to protect the delicate balance between the two. Undergraduates participate directly in ongoing research related to environmental and coastal issues of local, regional. national, and global importance. Interdisciplinary collaboration and site based research and analysis form core methods of operation.
Classroom Practices: A growing number of professors post syllabi, assignments, and study guides online, and allow students to turn in assignments electronically instead of in print. Paper reduction is a priority in promoting sustainability at Southern.
To learn more about the educational component to our campus sustainability initiatives, check out our education page.