January 31st - Deadline for Mailing Application
SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY'S PATHWAYS TO ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE (PAcE) SCHOLARSHIPS ARE FOR STUDENTS WHO WISH TO MAJOR IN SCIENCE OR MATHEMATICS, AND HAVE ACADEMIC PROMISE AND FINANCIAL NEED.*
SCSU provides a supportive, learner-centered academic community. At Southern, you will find yourself in a learning community of like-minded, highly-motivated students who, like you, are aiming for the stars!
The PAcE program provides scholarships to students who major in chemistry, biology, computer science, earth science, mathematics, or physics - including our engineering concentration. In addition, we offer forensics and environmental science minors, with a major in one of the disciplines listed above.
PAcE scholarships pay for any allowable educational expense up to $10,000 per year for four years of study at Southern Connecticut State University.
PAcE scholarship recipients will become part of a carefully mentored learning community and will be provided a computer. Research and/or internship opportunities begin in the freshman year, as well as access to additional funds to support participation in research conferences.
To be eligible for a PAcE scholarship, a student must:
- be a Connecticut resident.
- maintain at least a B average in high school.
- demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
To remain eligible, a student must:
- continue to major in math or science at Southern, and maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average.
Students must complete the Southern application process, and file a 2012/2013 FAFSA form prior to applying for the PAcE scholarship. The PAcE application package includes:
- A completed application form, available below.
- A brief essay
- One or more letters of recommendation.
- High school transcripts.
- SAT or ACT scores.
January 10, 2012 (snow date: Jan 12):
- Application workshop, including scholarship, admissions, and FAFSA information.
- 6:00 -- 8:00 PM in Engleman Hall Room A113.
January 31, 2012:
- Deadline for mailing completed application packet.
- Deadline for FAFSA filing.
March 4, 2012:
- Finalists invited to Southern for candidate's day.
March 16, 2012:
- Award notifications mailed.
PAcE Application Form
PACE INFORMATIONAL BROCHURE
Questions may be addressed to Dr. Karen Cummings, Physics, CummingsK2@southernct.edu or call 203-392-7043.
Other helpful links:
*Financial need is defined for undergraduate students by the U.S. Department of Education
as the Cost of
Attendance (COA) at a particular college minus the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for the student, which
is determined using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The PAcE scholarship pays $10,000 per year OR the difference between SCSU's COA and the EFC, paying whichever is the smaller of these amounts. The COA at Southern Connecticut State University is currently approximately $18,000 for Connecticut residents.This includes tuition, fees, on-campus room and board (or a housing and food allowance for off-campus students), allowances for books and supplies, transportation and other expenses.
PAcE is supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation.