Department of Anthropology Events
Help us celebrate the class of 2012 and the end of the academic year for a job well done!
- May 02, 2012, Engleman Hall Room C013 at 1:00 PM
MERRILL URGES COLLEGE STUDENTS TO SUBMIT VIDEOS FOR 2012 'SPEAK OUT CONNECTICUT' ELECTION VIDEO CONTEST
Deadline: Monday April 16, 2012
Secretary of State partnering with Comcast Cable -- Seeking entries from students Across Connecticut answering the question: "Why Should I Vote?" Winning video to air as public service announcement.
For more information:
Av Harris: (860) 509-6255
Cell: (860) 463-5939
Forensic Science Seminar Series
Gerald Conlogue, Quinnipiac University, "Forensic Imaging from Acquisition to Interpretation", February 13, 2012
Jillian B. Echard, CT DPS Forensic Science Laboratory, "Forensic DNA Analysis in a Real World Setting", March 28, 2012
Ted Voss, retired lawyer, "Forensics on Trial-A Lawyer's Perspective", April 3, 2012
Jimmie C. Oxley, University of Rhode Island, "URI Research in Explosives-for Safety & Security", April 9, 2012
Symposium by Connecticut American Indian Women on Women's Labor and Cultural Productions (see attached flyer )
- Friday, March 30, 10 AM - 2:30 PM
Southern CT State University, Crescent St., New Haven, CT Adanti Student Center 301
Directions & parking http://www.southernct.edu/aboutscsu/map/
Part of the remaining...64 Days of Nonviolence
The 64 Days officially begins on January 30, the day Mahatma Ghandi was assassinated, and ends on April 4, the day we commemorate Dr. King. In our ninth annual observation of the 64 Days at SCSU, we continue to celebrate the peace and justice heritage in many of our cultures and heritages, including our observation of Black History Month, Women's History Month, and Asian/Pacific Heritage Month.
- Mar 24 17th Annual African American Women's Summit; a Sisters' Collective in New Haven, 8AM - 4 M, at Wexler-Grant Community School (55 Foote Street, New Haven)
- Mar 27 "Women's Appreciation Day: Embracing Cultures"; 7:30PM - 9:30PM, ASC Ballroom
- Mar 29 "The Z Experience", an Evening of Spoken Word, a Tribute to Sisterhood in Memory of Zannette Lewis; 5:30 PM- 8:00 PM, EN A 120
- Mar 30 A Symposium by Connecticut American Indian Women on Women's Labor and Cultural Productions; 9AM - 3PM, ASC 301
- Apr 11 Screening of "Journey of the Universe" and Panel Discussion with Mary Evelyn Tucker (Yale University); 5-7:30PM, EN C 112
- Apr 13 Coalition of Women's Studies in Connecticut & Rhode Island (CWMSC) at Fairfield University; 9 AM - 3 PM
- Apr 19 Jane Lancaster (Brown University) on Women in the Professions; 5-7:30, EN A 117
- Apr 20-21 20th Annual Women's Studies Conference, "Women & Labor"
- Apr 25 "Take Back the Night"- 7-9 PM, ASC Ballroom
- Apr 26 8th Annual OWL (Opportunity for Women's Leadership);8 AM-2 PM, EN B 121
- Apr 27 "Stand Against Racisms"- 9 AM - 12 PM, Engleman Rotunda
- May 4 "Courageous Conversation on White Privilege"9AM-3PM, ASC Theatre
Partners at SCSU in the 64 Days of Nonviolence program planning include Multicultural Center; Women's Center; Women's Studies Program; Office of Diversity and Equity; Black Student Union; Minority Recruitment and Retention Committee (MRRC); SCSU Faculty Development Office; SCSU American Association of University (AAUP); the SCSU Chapter of the Iota Iota Iota National Women's Studies Honor Society; and the SCSU SAGE Center. Outside SCSU, our sister collaborators include African American Women's Summit Committee and the Coalition of Women's Studies in CT & RI (CWMSC); and the Middle East Crisis Committee.
Sister Cities Book Drive
for Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa
Deadline for Drop-off is Tuesday, 21FEB2012 at Noon.
Please keep the following in mind:
- These books are intended for young women between the ages of 6 to 15 years.
- Any novels submitted should be appropriate for this age range.
- The items below are also reqeusted:
- Sketch Pads
- Flash Cards
- Exercise Books
- Text Books
Human origins: an archaeologist's perspective
Join Southern's Department of Anthropology, Anthropology Club and the Multicultural Center in this co-sponsored event.
tuesday, december 6, 2011
Room: asc theater