English Department Over-Enrollment Policy
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE REQUESTING AN OVER-ENROLLMENT
The English Department normally does not grant over-enrollments in its courses.
As much as we would love to allow every student to enroll in the course and section of his or her choice, over-enrollments result in larger class sizes, less faculty attention to individual students and their work, and a seriously diminished education for every student. In order to maintain the high level of educational quality in all ENG courses, therefore, the department will consider over-enrollment requests ONLY under the following circumstances--and there is no guarantee under any circumstances that your overenrollment request will be accommodated.
First, do this:
Check the university's online course listings regularly and repeatedly for newly opened seats in existing courses as the semester begins. (In many of these courses, there is plenty of add/drop activity near the beginning of the semester. If you're diligent, you may well be able to pick up a seat in the course you want.)
- Over-enrollment will be considered if there are no available seats in other sections
of the desired course and
- In the department's judgment, it is unlikely that openings in any section of the desired course will occur before the end of Add/Drop;
- You have a documented physical or other disability that requires you to take a course in a particular time slot or location;
- You were in a composition course that was cancelled;
- You are completing a course with an instructor who previously assigned you an "I."
- Over-enrollment will be considered if:
- You are in your last semester of study;
- You need the course to fulfill either the university literature requirement or an English major/minor requirement;
- No open course or section will fulfill the requirement;
- In the department's judgment, it is unlikely that openings in a course that fulfills the requirement will occur before the end of Add/Drop;
Day, time, or location preferences will NOT be considered grounds for overenrollment UNLESS you have a documented disability that requires you to take a course at a particular time or in a particular location.
The English Department WILL NOT OVER-ENROLL "W" COURSES
If you meet the above conditions, contact either Professor Andrew Smyth, Program Chairperson (email@example.com) phone: (203) 392-6741, or Professor Steven Corbett (firstname.lastname@example.org) phone: (203) 392-6732 to discuss your situation.
This policy sheet is available online at www.southernct.edu/english/ and follow the link for "Undergraduate Programs."
Updated Aug. 2010.