WHO IS MY ADVISOR?
HOW TO GET ASSIGNED TO AN ADVISOR:
If you have not yet declared Psychology as your major, or if you've already declared Psychology but you haven't been assigned an advisor in Psychology:
- Go to the Psychology office (EN D069) to see the department secretary, Ms. Billups.
- If you are a transfer student, bring a copy of your SCSU Banner transcript (that shows transfer credits) with you.
- Ms. Billups will determine which requirements you will follow (new or old) and assign you an advisor.
If you are under the New (Fall 2012+) requirements:
- You will be assigned to either Dr. Kahlbaugh, Dr. Marsland, Dr. Moore, Dr. Hauselt, or Dr. Niznihkov. They are professors in the Psychology department.
- You will go to group advising sessions to receive your registration PIN.
- Sign-up sheets for advising sessions will be posted on the bulletin board outside EN D054.
- There will be separate signup sheets for students attending group advising for the first time and students who have attended it before.
- You do not need to attend a group advising session run by the professor you were assigned to; it can be run by any of the group advisors.
- You will continue to attend group advising sessions until you are accepted into the major.
- If you have concerns about your progress in the major, or if you have questions that you do not feel comfortable asking in a group session, you should make an appointment to meet with your advisor. However, you should attend a group advising session first.
- After you are accepted into the major, you will be assigned an individual advisor. The selection of advisor will depend on your concentration (General, Mental Health, or Research).
If you are under the Old (pre-2012) requirements:
- You will be assigned to an individual advisor. Your advisor will be a professor in the Psychology department. The selection of advisor will depend on the program you select (General, Mental Health, or Research).
- You will make an appointment with your advisor to receive individual advising. Most faculty members have sign-up sheets on their door during the pre-registration period.