ACCEPTANCE INTO THE PSYCHOLOGY MAJOR ("NEW" REQUIREMENTS: CATALOG TERM FALL 2012 OR LATER)
A student may apply for acceptance when all of the following requirements are met:
- An overall GPA of at least 2.80
- At least 39 overall university credits (including transfer credits)
- At least 12 credits taken for a grade at SCSU
- A Psychology GPA of at least 2.80.
- The Psychology GPA is calculated using only PSY courses that count towards the major and were taken at SCSU.
- PSY courses only count toward the major if they are listed in the major requirements and if the student has received a grade of C or higher.
- At least 6 credits taken at SCSU toward the PSY major beyond PSY 100.
* Students who fall short of the minimum 2.80 overall GPA may be eligible for acceptance under an alternative set of criteria. Under these criteria, the student is allowed to recalculate their GPA with one semester removed. The alternative criteria are:
- An overall GPA of at least 2.90, with one semester removed
- At least 39 overall university credits, with one semester removed
- At least 12 credits taken for a grade at SCSU, with one semester removed
- A Psychology GPA of at least 2.80, including courses taken during the removed semester
- At least 6 credits taken at SCSU toward the PSY major, including courses taken during the removed semester.
Transfer students who transferred multiple Psychology courses to SCSU should talk to their advisor about applying some of those courses towards acceptance.
Acceptance into the major is crucial because there are a number of requirements in the major that are only open to accepted majors.
- There are five post-acceptance requirements in the General program
- There are seven post-acceptance requirements in the Mental Health specialization
- There are eight post-acceptance requirements in the Research specialization
Being accepted into the program allows you to sign up for PSY 300 (The Psychology Major: Curriculum and Careers).
- PSY 300 is a 1-credit, 8-week, Pass/Fail, online course that will be offered during the second eight-week session each semester.
- PSY 300 and PSY 259 (Statistics in Psychology) are the pre-requisites for all of the post-acceptance courses.
All students who meet the requirements for acceptance will be accepted.
THE ACCEPTANCE PROCESS
- Acceptance applications will be processed during the first three weeks of the fall and spring semesters.
- To apply for acceptance, you will fill out an application form. The application is an Excel spreadsheet that can be accessed here. You will enter information from your transcript and it will automatically determine whether you meet the acceptance requirements.
- You will submit a printed copy of the completed form and your Banner transcript to the Psychology department.
- You will receive an email stating that you've been accepted into the program and will give you your new advisor's name.
- You will automatically be given permission to sign up for PSY 300 for that semester (in the 2nd 8-week session). You will be able to register for PSY 300 immediately. Being registered for PSY 300 will satisfy a prerequisite in Banner for taking upper-level Psychology courses such as PSY 393.
- The other prerequisite for the upper-level courses is PSY 259, so you should make sure you either have finished PSY 259 or are taking it in the semester that you're accepted.
Click here to download the acceptance application. Note: the application form is an Excel spreadsheet that automatically evaluates the information you enter.
Click here for printable instructions on how to fill out the acceptance application.
Examples of completed acceptance applications:
Example 1 Example 2 Example 3 Example 4