UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS ("NEW" REQUIREMENTS: CATALOG TERM FALL 2012 OR LATER)
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN PSYCHOLOGY
This is the general academic psychology major and requires 38 credits. It provides training in the experimental methods of scientific psychology as well as an understanding of the dynamic factors underlying human behavior and personality. It also emphasizes the values of a liberal education. Flexible elective offerings permit students to pursue areas determined by their interests.
Students choosing this program are required to complete the major by fulfilling the minimum requirements for each of the following groups.
Group 1: Required course in the LEP Mind and Body
- PSY 100—Introduction to Psychology
Group 2: Two of the following (Requires completion of Group 1)
- PSY 210—Infant and Child Development*
- PSY 215—Adolescent Development*
- PSY 219 — Lifespan Development*
- PSY 220—Introduction to Mental Health
- PSY 227 — Social Psychology
- PSY 228 — Personality
- PSY 298 — Special Topics * PSY 210 and 219 may not both count toward the major. Likewise, PSY 215 and 219 may not both count toward the major.
Group 3: One of the following (Requires at least 3 credits from Group 2)
- PSY 318—Emotional and Social Development
- PSY 320—Abnormal Child Psychology
- PSY 321—Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 361—Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- PSY 366 — Health Psychology
- PSY 370 — Educational Psychology
- PSY 398 — Special Topics
Group 4: Required course: (Requires 3 credits from Group 2 or 3)
- PSY 259—Statistics in Psychology
Group 5: Required course: (Requires departmental permission and completed major acceptance form)
- PSY 300—The Psychology Major: Curriculum and Careers
Group 6: Two of the following (Requires completion of Group 4, with a grade of C or higher, and Group 5)
- PSY 303 — Perception
- PSY 311 — Learning
- PSY 313 — Cognition
- PSY 383—Brain and Behavior
Group 7: Required course (Requires completion of Group 4, with a grade of C or higher, and Group 5)
- PSY 393 — Experimental Methods
Group 8: Two of the following (Requires completion of Group 4, with a grade of C or higher, Group 5, and at least 3 credits from Groups 3 and/or 6. Some courses have additional requirements)
- Any two 400-level psychology courses except for PSY 463, 467, 471, 472, 473, and 499.
Group 9: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
- Any Group 2, 3 or 6 psychology course, or PSY 463, PSY 467, PSY 499, or HON 495
Group 10: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
- Any Group 3, 6 or 8 psychology course.