To obtain information/application packets, applicants should download the forms below or contact the Counseling and School Psychology Department office at:

Candidates for the program must:

 1) Academic background: students must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0.

2) Although no particular undergraduate major is required, students should take the following prerequisites:

3) The State of CT requires that all applicants to this certification program must have successfully passed thePRAXIS - I exam, an essential skills test which is administered by Educational Testing Service. For complete information on taking this test, go to the CT State Department of Education website:

Students who have already achieved high scores on any of the following tests may be able to waive taking the PRAXIS exam: Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), Graduate Record Exam (GRE), American College Testing (ACT), or the Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA)/ESLAT/TOEFL. The passing scores necessary for waiving the PRAXIS exam based on these tests are listed on the State Dept of Education website:

To waive the PRAXIS test requirement, first check to see that you have achieved the necessary score; then complete the ED-192 Form (click on this link to get the form) from the CT State Dept. of Education.

4) Have met the State Department of Education's special education requirement, which is a course that reviews all types of educational disorders as specified in federal and state statutes, as well as the requirements for mainstreaming children with disabilities.This requirement is a course that is offered at many colleges and universities in Connecticut (at SCSU: SED 481 OR 482). A list of those courses is available at the CT State Department of Education's Web site.

This course be comprised of not fewer than 36 clock hours, which shall include study in understanding the growth and development of exceptional children, including handicapped and gifted and talented children and children who may require special education, and methods of identifying, planning for, and working effectively with special-needs children in the regular classroom. Students who graduated from colleges out of state, and who, through reciprocity, received certification in CT as a teacher MUST TAKE THE SPECIAL EDUCATION COURSE in order to add the school counselor or school psychologist certification.

5) Evidence of a desire to enter the profession and knowledge of the field.

6) Evidence of exceptional interpersonal skills (relationships and communication).

7) Strong recommendations from at least three individuals who know the candidate in a professional and/or academic setting.

8) Submit a 500-word essay describing the basis of their interest in the School Counseling program and their desire to enter the profession.

9) Submit a resume.

10) If invited, meet with the School Counseling Faculty members for an admissions interview.