Elementary Education Certification
As a Graduate of Southern Connecticut's Elementary Education certification program you enter will enter the classroom ready to teach. You will shape the most critical time in child's education. As a teacher you will work with students to build the foundations of literacy and numeracy necessary for life long learning.
Graduates of the program, who successfully pass all state licensing exams, will earn
a teacher certificate to teach in 1st to 6th grade.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.7 for all undergraduate courses
- Take Praxis Core, SAT, or ACT to satisfy the State Board of Education competency examination requirement.
- Complete an essay
- Submit two letters of reccomendation
- Have a personal interview
44.5 Credits Required
‘C’ or better required
- EDU 200-Teachers, Schools and Society
- SHE 203-School Health
- EDU 305- Beginning Readers
- SED 225- Introduction to Exceptionalities OR SED 481- Teaching Exceptional Students in Elementary School
- EDU 317- Science Education in the Elementary School
- EDU 330 - Social Studies in the Classroom
- EDU 316- Child Development and Psychology for Educators
- EDU 424 - Teaching Mathematics in the Elementary School
- EDU 425- Supervised Field Work 1 credit
- EDU 471- Supporting English Language Learners for School Success (1.5)
- EDU 407- Beginning Readers
- EDU 480- Student Teaching
- EDU 485- Student Teaching Seminar
Praxis II Multiple Subjects
- Praxis II Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects
- Subtest 1: Reading Language Arts
- Subtest 2: Mathematics
- Subtest 3: Social Studies
- Subtest 4: Science
- Go to the Application page here and click on Graduate. Then click on Apply Now
- Now click on the button to the admissions portal.
- Create an account using your email. You will be sent a temporary password. Check your email and change your password
- Then click on Start a new Graduate Online Application application
- Then choose "Certificates and Certification when choosing application type
- Then Choose Post-Baccalaurate Certification in Education Elementary Education 1-6
Customizing to Your Needs
The Department of Curriculum and Learning puts the student first. We have a number of pathways to meet the needs of the modern student. You can see different road maps towards certification here.
For questions about the program or about how to appply email Our Department