Master of science with certification in education
All applicants to certification programs must meet the certification requirements of the state of Connecticut.
Students may pursue certification and the master's degree concurrently.
NOTE: Completion of the master's degree program is dependent upon first completing the requirements for certification.
required courses for the program for certification:
- EDF 520 - Exceptional Foundations
- SED 481 - Teaching Exceptional Children in Elementary Classes
- SHE 203 - School Health
- EDU 544 - Classroom Management
- EDU 534 - Design Methods for the Elementary Classroom
- EDU 539 - Child Development for Elementary Grade Teachers or
- EDU 301* - Reading
- EDU 503* - Science in the Elementary School
- EDU 504* - Mathematics in the Elementary School
- EDU 505* - Social Studies in the Elementary School
- EDU 506* - Language Arts and Children's Literature
- IDS 471** - English Language Learners
- EDU 450/451* - Student Teaching
- EDU 509* - Student Teaching Seminar
- Completion of the master's program requires an additional two (2) required and three (3) elective courses.
- Students must choose a planned program that includes either a thesis, a comprehensive exam, or a field project in order to complete their master's.
*Graduate Coordinator's permission required.
For more information regarding this program, contact:
Dr. Christine Villani
Department of Education
Southern Connecticut State University
Davis Hall 116
New Haven, CT 06515
Telephone: (203) 392-5343
Fax: (203) 392-6473