Creating a Shared Vision
On Saturday, December 11, 2010, three practitioners worked with ILS faculty (CSKim, MBrown, JKusack, JLiu, YLiu, EOkobi), and Dean Sampson to analyze surveys and develop a shared Vision and Mission.
Earlier, 48 practitioners and alumni were asked to participate in a survey and follow-up workshop to create a shared vision and mission for the Master of Library Science program. Twenty practitioners and alumni took part in the survey.
To be the institution of choice in New England for preparing the next generation of diverse library and information professionals as visionary leaders in a rapidly evolving and technologically advanced environment. (draft rev. 12.11.10)
To provide a quality, affordable education and training for generalists and specialists in the fields of library and information science, to serve primarily in academic libraries, public libraries, school media centers, and special libraries in Connecticut, New England, and broader, more diverse global communities. (draft rev. 12.11.10)
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Students will be able to:
- demonstrate foundational knowledge and skills of the profession and ethical behavior consistent with the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association and the Library Bill of Rights
- select, organize and maintain the library's collection in all media formats and tools that guide the user to the literature and collection
- catalogue all types of library materials according to relevant bibliographic control standards and manage the catalog to ensure optimal access to the collection
- demonstrate skillful use of current cutting edge technology
- conduct and apply assessment and evaluation to library services
- design and implement library services and program to enable lifelong learning in the community
- exhibit leadership, communication, and team skills for carrying out professional responsibilities and services across cultures and in rapidly changing environments
(draft rev. 3.4.11)
- * - * - * - * -
We wish to thank all practitioners, alumni, and students who participated in the survey or follow-up workshop to create a shared vision for our MLS program.
We welcome comments on the drafted vision and mission statements.
Please send any comments to ILS Department Chairperson Hak Joon Kim, email@example.com
- * - * - * - * -
Last updated: October 30, 2013