The Clinic provides a safe and pleasant environment where parents and children and become reacquainted while the well-being of the family is insured. The philosophy of the Clinic is that preserving the integrity of the family should be our primary motivation in every interaction. Therapists maintain contact with the referring agency.
Visits are conducted in suitable rooms, which are equipped with viewing mirrors so that when it is deemed appropriate the family unit will have privacy while at the same time, the well-being of the family is insured. There are toys available for the children. A fenced-in outdoor playground is available exclusively for supervised visits.
The team concept employed at the clinic ensures that the most comprehensive view of the family system neutralizes any potential biases. An observation team may be utilized to insure quality service. This team may include a primary therapist and a senior supervisor. Every effort is made to have compatible gender and ethnic representations on the the therapeutic team.
Prior to setting up the court-ordered supervised visits, the Clinic reserves the option to schedule the Pre-VAP (Preliminary Visitation Assessment Process). Additionally, family reunification sessions may be deemed necessary prior to the onset of the Pre-Vap.
Types of Supervised Visits Offered at the Family Therapy Clinic:
- Observational- non-custodial parent and child visit together without interference from supervisor who observes the visit in the room or behind a viewing mirror. Supervisor will interrupt only if child is distressed or parent is inappropriate. Child-parent debriefing sessions may be included.
- Directed- during the visit the non-custodial parent is instructed to interact with the child in specific ways. Debriefing optional.
- Therapeutic- non-custodial parent and child uninterrupted(unless necessary) for 30-35 minutes. Child is dismissed.The last 15 minutes is a therapeutic portion to discuss strengths and challenges of parenting skills.
How to start the Supervised Visitation Process:
1. Call the Supervised Visitation Team at 203-392-6432
2. Complete the online screening / intake paperwork over the phone.
3. After the online Screen and intake form is completed, a Supervised Visitation packet will be sent out to you and must be returned upon completion. The Team can mail or email the packet to you. You can come pick it up during clinic hours or click this link and download the packet ___.
4. Prior to any visits being scheduled both parties must contact the Supervised Visitation Team before the process can move forward.
5. After the clinic receives both the custodial and visiting parent packets, separate orientation sessions will be scheduled.
6. Set-up fee is expected to be paid on scheduled orientation date.
7. Visits will begin once both visiting and custodial adults have completed orientation, agreed on a time slot, and paid set-up fee.
There is a $200 set-up fee that is to be split between the custodial and visiting adult.
Weekly fees for visits are paid by the visiting adult, on a sliding scale from $20-$60 per visit.
The Family Therapy Clinic offers a pre-payment discount option, pre-pay for four visits and get one of those visits for free.
The Family Clinic does not accept insurance. Cash, check made out to Southern Connecticut State University, or pay online at _____________________.
The $200 fee is waived if the visits are preceded by the Pre-Vap and the family reunification sessions.
Please note the Family Therapy Clinic provides data to the court regarding the interactions between the visiting adult and minor child. The Family Therapy Clinic does not make recommendations if visits should stop, occur outside of the clinic, or be unsupervised.
Supervised Visitation sessions are only seen Tuesday 5pm-8pm and Saturday 8am-12p.
Please feel free to call The Supervised Visitation Team at (203) 392-6432