"Nursing is an art; and if it is to be made an art it requires as exclusive a devotion, as hard a preparation as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or cold marble compared with having to do with the human body." (Florence Nightingale)
A pre-nursing student is defined as an individual who is admitted to the university, but is not yet admitted to a nursing program at Southern. This page is designed for pre-nursing students interested in the traditional 4 year BSN program. For this select group of students, a pre-nursing advisor works one-on-one to help navigate the path to a rewarding career in nursing.
Academic advisement is required prior to registration each semester to ensure pre-nursing students are registering for the correct courses, are familiar with on-campus resources and university policies that pertain to academic success, and know the nursing application requirements, expectations and deadlines.
Angela Ruggiero is your advisor while you are enrolled as a pre-nursing student. She is currently located in the Wintergreen Building.
For questions, contact Angela directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*If you are a current student at Gateway Community College and would like to meet with a Southern advisor, please click here for information.
Any traditional pre-nursing student who has not applied to the nursing program this year will be required to register and attend a workshop before scheduling an advisement appointment (dates/times/locations are within the form linked below). Any student who does not attend the workshop will be advised, but will have to wait to schedule until after those who did attend. Please make every effort to attend a workshop so you will be able to receive advisement and your registration PIN prior to your priority registration date (see the link below for registration dates).
Students will need to register for a FOCUS account prior to their workshop and may do so by clicking on the FOCUS link and using the access code "owls".
Click here for tentative registration dates. (Your registration status can be found in your Banner Web, Registration Portal)
Preparing for Advisement - REQUIRED
- Please come prepared with questions and ready to take notes.
- Please complete the PRE-NURSING WORKSHEET to the best of your ability (EXAMPLE WORKSHEET), you will not be advised without this. Use your degree evaluation (Degree Evaluation Instructions/What-If Degree Evaluation Instructions) to check off requirements already met, and write in the courses you would plan to take next two semesters based on the information provided on the worksheet.
Additional information and resources
Application Information - BSN Website
Answers to most of your questions - Pre-nursing Handbook
Help Searching for LEP & W Requirements -
TEAS Exam Resources - Additional info can be found in the pre-nursing handbook.
GPA Calculating Tools -
- CUM & PreReq GPA Calculator Instructions - For students who have taken courses elsewhere in addition to Southern AND all who would like to calculate their Prerequisite GPA - CUM & PreReq GPA Calculator
- "How to achieve desired GPA" calculator - A simple calculator to enter your CUM or PreReq GPA into, which will show you the grades required over a number of credits to reach the GPA you are seeking.
Academic Support - Academic Success Center
Grade Replacement - Policy
Taking courses elsewhere during intersessions -
- What is the Process to Take Courses at a Different College During an Intersession?
- How do I Know What Courses from a CT Community College will Transfer?- Last updated 2017
- If you have taken courses or plan to take courses at another college or university within the state of Connecticut, please use the Transfer Articulation Request tool. These are subject to change.
Exploring Options -
- What Are My Options If I Do Not Continue in Pre-Nursing or Get Accepted to the BSN Program?
- How Do I Make a Decision Based on My Current GPA?
- Article explaining general info on various nursing degree options (please note that the BSN program at Southern is highly competitive, experience does not get factored into the admission decision, and repeated pre-req courses are taken into consideration)
- Explore Careers in the Health Industry and the education requirements necessary
- Steps to Choosing a Major
- FOCUS is a self-paced online tool that will help you explore career paths and select the major area of study to support your career goals. Use Access Code "owls" to register your personal account.
- SCSU Undergraduate Catalog - Programs and Degrees
- Contact the departments you have narrowed your search to or a career advisor if you are still uncertain.
The National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA) - is a voluntary organization through which nursing students practice self-governance; advocate for student rights and the rights of patients; and take collective responsible action on vital social and political issues. Learning about joining NSNA.