BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN NURSING
Bachelor of Science In nursing
The curriculum in the undergraduate nursing program is designed as an upper-division major. The program requires a strong liberal arts and science base as a prerequisite to nursing courses. Students complete theory courses in the major as well as hospital and community-based clinical practice. Full-time and limited part-time study options are available.
Pre Nursing Information Packet
Students interested in the Nursing Program complete a two-step admission process.
- First, applicants apply to the university.
- Then, upon completion of at least 7 of the 11 nursing prerequisites, application is made to the nursing department. If accepted into the BS program all nursing prerequisites must be completed prior to enrolling in nursing courses. Admission is competitive, with a QPR of 3.0 being the minimum considered for acceptance. Qualified applicants may not be accepted because of a limit in the number of clinical placements. Applications are accepted once a year. Application to the program is usually made during the sophomore year but some students opt to apply the junior year, making the college experience 5 years.
GPA, Pre-requisite GPA and the TEAS test, will be used as a way of evaluating students for acceptance into the nursing program. The number of Pre-requisite repeats is also taken into consideration.
Transfer students must be admitted to the university, prior to applying to the Nursing Department. Admission to the university must be completed by Dec. 1, if the applicant intends to meet the department's Feb. 1 deadline to be considered for the fall semester. Transfer students must meet the same credentials as outlined above.
Students are ineligible to apply for admission to the SCSU Nursing Program if:
-They have been dismissed for academic or clinical reasons in another nursing program.
-They have failed to meet benchmark scores on assessment testing in another nursing program.
Please note that applicants may not apply to our BSN program and the ACE program the same year.
The following are the prerequisite course titles for the upper-division BSN program. A grade of "C+"or better must be received in all prerequisite courses to be admitted to the nursing program.
Prerequisite to Nursing Courses
|MAT108||Math for Natural Sciences||3|
|BIO110||Human Biology I||4|
|BIO111||Human Biology II||4|
|CHE120||General Chemistry I||4|
|CHE125||Principles/Application of General, Organic and Biochemistry||4|
|PSY100||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|PHY103||Elements of Physics for Life Sciences||3|
In addition to the above Nursing Prerequisite courses the student must complete the Liberal Education Program (LEP) requirements to graduate.
List of Pre-requisite transfers from CT Community Colleges
For more information, contact:
Courses in the Nursing Major
All junior-level courses must be completed before senior-level courses can be taken.
|NUR 340||Theoretical Foundations of Professional Nursing||3|
|NUR 341||Health Assessment||3|
|NUR 430||The Childbearing Family-Clinical||3|
|NUR 431||The Child Rearing Family- Clinical||3|
|NUR 350||Therapeutic Nutrition||2|
|NUR 342||Evidence Based Nursing Interventions||3|
|NUR 343||Integrated Pathophysiology/Pharmacology I||3|
|NUR 351||Nursing Research||2|
|NUR 353||Integrated Pathophysiology/Pharmacology II||3|
|NUR 433||Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice Across the Life Span||3|
|NUR 344||Gerontological Nursing-Clinical||2|
|NUR 444||Leadership, Management and Health Care Issues in Nursing||3|
|NUR 354||Mental Health Nursing-Clinical||3|
|NUR 442||Community Health Nursing-Clinical||3|
|NUR 352||Adult Health Nursing-Clinical||4|
|NUR 432||Adult Response to Complex Stressors-Clinical||4|
|NUR 443||Nursing Capstone-Clinical||4|
* Nursing Elective Courses would include 2 of the following courses: Each of the below is 1 credit.
- NUR 498 Special Topics in Health Care
- NUR 420 Guided Imagery in Nursing Practice
- NUR 421 Spirituality in Nursing Assessment
- NUR 422 Interpersonal Violence and the Critical Role of the Nurse
- NUR 423 Transcultural Issues in Nursing
- NUR 424 Therapeutic Touch: Applications to Clinical Practice
- NUR 426 The Mind's Role in Illnesses: Applications to Nursing Practice
- NUR 428 Legal Issues in Nursing