W-Course Writing Contest
The Southern Writing Across the Curriculum Program invites you to help continue a
contest to recognize excellent student writing from writing intensive courses. The
goal of the contest is to reward the best examples of writing produced by students
in writing intensive courses and to spotlight the hard work of both students and instructors.
Read the 2016 winning papers! First Place, Second Place, and Third Place
Deadline for electronic submissions: Friday, April 1, 2016
Guidelines for the 2016 W-Course Writing Contest
1. Student entrants must be taking/have taken a W-course (W) at Southern during the
past three semesters (SP16, Summer 15 or FA15);
2. Entries may be either instructor- or self-nominated;
3. Each paper must be at least 1000 words and not exceed 7500 words and have been
written for a W-course. We encourage students to submit entries polished through the
4. Submissions must include the following:
-A clean copy of the writing submission o A digital copy of the paper submitted via
email to firstname.lastname@example.org with one hard copy to the WAC Office (EN C118)
-A copy of the assignment for which the paper was written
-A signed copy of the
W-Course Contest Release Form;
5. Students must submit their papers and supporting materials no later than Friday
April 1, 2016.
6. Judging will be done by members of the Writing Across the Curriculum Committee
and the co-Directors of the Southern Writing Program;
7. The first-place paper, second-place, and third-place winners will receive awards.
Others may receive certificates for honorable mention.
8. All winners will be recognized at an award ceremony. Students will be presented
with awards and certificates at that time.
If you have any questions, please contact the Writing Across the Curriculum Program.
Email: email@example.com Phone: (203) 392-7113