W-Course Writing Contest
2013 Annual Nancy Marano W-course Writing Contest Winners
We are pleased to announce the winners of the 2013 annual Nancy Marano W-Course Writing Contest. The winners were honored at the final University Curriculum Forum Meeting on Thursday April 25th. Each winner received a commemorative certificate and a Barnes and Noble Gift card provided by Student Government. Dean Ellen Durnin represented the administration; Dean Durnin spoke about the importance of writing across the curriculum and written communication skills in general. A reception followed the presentation of awards.
First place ($250 gift card) went to Sarah E. Green for her paper titled Indirect Interior Monologue in Henry James' Washington Square.
Deborah Carroll and Astrid Eich-Krohm,
Co-Directors, University Writing Across the Curriculum Program
2013 SCSU W-COURSE WRITING CONTEST DEDICATED TO DR. NANCY MARANO
The Southern Writing Across the Curriculum Program invites you to help continue a contest to recognize excellent student writing from writing intensive courses. The goal of the contest is to reward the best examples of writing produced by students in writing intensive courses and to spotlight the hard work of both students and instructors. This year the contest is dedicated to Dr. Nancy Marano faculty in the School of Education, a respected colleague, friend and student advocate who passed away in the Summer 2011. She was devoted to the WAC Program and greatly contributed to the development of student writing; thus the WACC finds it most appropriate to recognize her contributions by dedicating the contest to her this year.
We are soliciting the best papers written for W-course taken during Spring semester 2112, Summer semesters 2012, and Fall semester 20121. Prizes will be awarded. The deadline for submissions is 4 p.m. on Friday, March 15th. Late submissions will not be considered.
Submissions must include the student paper, a copy of the assignment that generated it, and a signed release form (see attached release form). Entries can be submitted electronically to email@example.com OR to Dr. Deborah Carroll, co-Director of WAC in the WAC Office (EN C118). If you have any questions about the contest, please contact Dr. Deborah Carroll @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines for W-Course Writing Contest
1. Student entrants must be taking/have taken a writing intensive course (W) at Southern
during the past three semesters (SP12, Summer 12 or FA12);
2. Entries may be either instructor- or self-nominated;
3. Each paper must be at least 1000 words and not exceed 7500 words and have been written for a W-course. We encourage students to submit entries polished through the revision process;
4. Submissions must include the following: • A clean copy of the writing submission
• A digital copy of the paper submitted via email to email@example.com with one hard copy to the WAC Office (EN C118)
• A copy of the assignment for which the paper was written
• A signed copy of the attached release form;
5. Students must submit their papers and supporting materials no later than Friday March 15th, 2013 by 4:00 p.m.
6. Judging will be done by members of the Writing Across the Curriculum Committee and the co-Directors of the Southern Writing Program;
7. The first-place paper, second-place, and third-place winners will receive awards. Others may receive certificates for honorable mention.
8. All winners will be recognized at the final UCF meeting in April 2013. Students will be presented with awards and certificates at that time.