Construction Update: January 30, 2014
Hello everyone! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.
Both of our major construction projects are going well. The following information will give you an idea of what is going on with each project.
BULEY LIBRARY RENOVATIONS:
• Construction of Elevators “C” and “D” lobbies continues. Scheduled completion date February 14th. Elevators to be turned back over to the University when completed.
• The installation of glass walls in the connector has started and is well on its way.
• Pre-cast panels have been received, approved and installed on the side of the front entrance ( not visible at this time) . Installation of pre-cast panels will continue on the front of the building.
• New chiller/air conditioning unit has been installed and piping will begin this week.
• New air handling units have been lifted and installed in the penthouse and currently are being piped and wired.
• New roofing material for the mechanical penthouse is on site and new roofing will begin as soon as weather permits.
• New stair “a” installation has started with the lower level connected to the first level. Installation will continue, connecting all floors.
• Installation of sprinkler system piping has been completed on lower level and first floor. Piping to continue on floors 2,3 and 4.
• Drywall framing is complete on lower level and level one. Electrical wiring is being installed and both levels should be ready for drywall installation in the next 2 weeks. HVAC duct work is complete on both floors.
• Installation of toilet carriers, storm drainage and vent piping continues on all floors.
• All new duct work for floors 2, 3 and 4 has arrived on site and installation will begin immediately.
• Additional items, too numerous to list, are being installed, tested etc. contributing to the over-all success of the project.
• Good News: we are on schedule for a late fall 2014 completion of the lower level and 1st floor. Floors 2,3 and 4 are on schedule for an early Spring 2015 completion.
• Erection of structural steel continues. Work has been delayed by extreme weather conditions. We hope to make up lost time by developing a recovery schedule in early spring to involve work on weekends and weekday evenings.
• Work continues on installation of under-slab utilities.
• Complete South Wing foundation.
• Start slab on deck prep work for pouring of concrete floors.
• Form and rebar remaining foundation wall in South Wing.
• The main focus now is the erection of structural steel.
• Scheduled completion date of May 2015 still well in the range.
We are pleased with the progress on both projects. We are fortunate to have 2 good contractors on these projects: Skanska and FIP Construction.
Robert G. Sheeley
Associate Vice President for Capital Budgeting & Facilities Operations