How to Apply for A Direct Plus Loan
The Direct PLUS Loan is a federal loan that parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay for college. For more information regarding interest rates and repayment details, please visit here. Parents interested in applying for the loan must follow these steps.
Note: If you are a graduate/professional student (masters degree or higher), select Complete Direct PLUS Loan Application for Graduate/Professional Student and complete the Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note, if approved.
Step One – CREDIT CHECK - This loan is contingent upon credit approval. *
The parent must go to www.studentloans.gov and sign in using his/her own FSA Username ID. Do not use the student's FSA ID to sign in.
2. Select the Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan
3. Click on the Start Button next to the Direct PLUS Loan Application for Parents (This starts the process for the credit check. The parent must complete all four sections of the application and submit.)
4. Upon completion of the application, the parent will be notified immediately of the credit decision.
a. If your credit is denied, stop here.*
b. If approved, go to Step 2.
Step Two – MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE - If your application is approved, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
1. If you, the parent, are approved for the Direct PLUS Loan, Complete the Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note) at www.studentloans.gov.
2. Click on the Start Button next to the PLUS MPN for Parents and Complete all four section of the application.
* If a parent is denied the credit, the student may be eligible for an additional unsubsdized loan. Freshmen and sophomores may receive up to an additional $4,000 for the year; juniors and seniors may receive up to an additional $5,000 for the year.