Collecting Student Taxpayer Identification Numbers
Purposes for Collecting Student Taxpayer Identification Numbers
For Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Purposes:
- An eligible educational institution, such as Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU), or lender of a student loan must get your correct tax identifying number to file information returns with the IRS and to furnish a statement to you. For students, this will be your social security number (SSN) or, if you are not eligible to obtain an SSN, your individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).
- The returns SCSU must file contain information about qualified tuition and related expenses (Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement) and student loan interest (Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement). For more information, see Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for Education. The information about your tuition will help to determine whether you, or the person who can claim you as a dependent, may take either the tuition and fees deduction or claim an education credit to reduce federal income tax. The information about your student loan interest will help to determine your deduction for such interest.
- The Privacy Act Notice, Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires students to give their correct SSN or ITIN to persons (in this case SCSU) who must file information returns with the IRS to report certain information. The IRS uses taxpayer identification numbers for identification purposes and to verify the accuracy of tax returns. Failure to provide your correct tax identifying number could result in a penalty from the IRS imposed on each incorrect document.
For institutional Purposes:
- For use in processing admission applications for purposes of identification and verification of student records.
- For use in administering federal and state financial aid programs/loans, including verification of eligibility. These include programs such as Financial Aid, other related loan programs, and scholarship programs.
- For use in complying with IRS Reporting Requirements pertaining to the Hope Scholarship Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit provided under federal legislation. For use in preparing Student Enrollment Reports required to be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System under Federal Law.
- For use in providing official student transcripts to authorized third parties (i.e. educational institutions and employers upon receipt of required releases) for student identification purposes.
- For enrollment verification and eligibility for health insurance coverage, and other benefits, as requested by students.
- For submitting reports to federal and state agencies as required.
NOTE*All students are advised that social security numbers are confidential and may only be released in accordance with applicable law. (FTC, FERPA).Southern Connecticut State University uses form W-9S, Request for Student's or Borrower's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification to request and collect student taxpayer identification numbers. This Form allows students to provide their correct taxpayer identification number to an educational institution or to a lender of a student loan. This Form can also certify the use of the funds for qualified higher education expenses. To download this form or for more information regarding this IRS form, please visit: http://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-W9S Please note: Completed forms must either be mailed to the Bursar's Office, faxed, or hand delivered (Do not email SSN or ITIN numbers). Fax:(203)392-5328 Mail: Bursar's Office Southern Connecticut State University 501 Crescent St, New Haven, CT 06515