Accidents Involving State Vehicles
Procedures to Follow When State Vehicles Are Involved in Accidents
- Stop immediately.
- Be courteous and calm.
- Do not argue.
- Obtain medical assistance for injured people.
- Notify local, state, or campus police.
- Obtain all information to complete the State Accident (MCVU-1) Report. The glove compartment contains an accident reporting kit.
- Immediately report the accident to your supervisor.
- Complete and sign the State Accident (MCVU-1) Report within 24 hours and give it to
- Review and sign the Accident (MCVU-1) Report and forward the report immediately to the Controller's Office.
- Make arrangements for vehicle inspection and repair with Fleet Operations.
- Complete Form CO-854 to report vehicle damage and send to the Controller's Office.
Campus Police Responsibilities
- Forward a copy of all Incident Reports involving a State Vehicle on the SCSU campus
to the Controller's Office within 24 hours.
- Review Accident and Campus Police Incident Reports for completeness.
- Arrange for completion of incomplete documents.
- Forward a copy of the Accident and Police Reports to: Office of Fleet Operations, 190 Huyshope Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106, and current State Motor Vehicle Insurance Carrier.
- Review Form CO-854 and forward information to Accounting, Property Control, and other required parties.