Main Content


In-state tuition rates are a privilege authorized by the Connecticut General Statutes and are awarded only upon successful application for in-state tuition. Generally, the residency classification is determined at the time of application for admission. The University makes its decisions according to the applicable state law and within procedures developed to conform to the boundaries of this law. In-state tuition is governed by General Statute 10a-26, et. seq.

In order to establish CT Residency for in-state tuition you will need to provide the following documents that show evidence of a clearly established residence in Connecticut for at least one year.

• Completed Residency Reclassification Affidavit 
• CT Driver's License – CT State Law requires that you obtain a CT Driver License within 30 days of moving into the state
• CT Vehicle Registration - CT State Law requires that you obtain a CT Motor Vehicle within 60 days of moving into the state
• Lease/Rent agreement for current year and one year prior OR mortgage agreement
Federal and CT Tax returns for most recent tax year – submit 1st page of the return (parent/guardian and student returns required)
• CT Voter Registration (if applicable)

Non-citizens studying at the University cannot become residents for purposes of tuition payment unless granted a Permanent Resident Visa (card) by the United States Government. Students granted such visas may make application for classification as an in-state student when they have satisfied the necessary statutory requirements for legal residence.

The Registrar's Office reserves the right to request additional documentation.

Contact Information

Jennifer Ruggiero
Assistant Registrar
Wintergreen Building 129
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent Street,
New Haven, CT 06515
Phone: (203) 392-8887, Fax: (203) 392-5320  

This site is managed by the Registrar's Office.
Southern Connecticut State University
Revised: 4/19/17