IRB External Investigator Policy
SCSU RESEARCH PROTECTION PROGRAM
IRB EXTERNAL INVESTIGATOR POLICY
Office: Engleman Hall, Wing A, Room 110 A-B,
Voice: (203) 392-5243
FAX: (203) 392-5221
Table of Contents
External Investigator Responsibilities
External Investigator Responsibilities:
The following pertains to the responsibilities of investigators from external agencies who wish to engage SCSU, its faculty, students, or staff in research. Please determine the category into which your project may be placed and proceed accordingly.
Investigators from external institutions who wish to recruit SCSU students, faculty, staff or administrators as research participants may do so without SCSU IRB review, providing the recruitment activities are completely passive. Passive recruitment may involve activities such as: posting flyers on campus which meet SCSU IRB requirements (flyers must be approved by the SCSU IRB and may be posted only at sites approved by the Office of Student Life 392-5782); contacting potential participants by email as long as the email addresses are not supplied by the university and the script of the email has been approved by the SCSU IRB; contacting potential participants by direct mail as long as the mail addresses were not supplied by the university and the script of the recruitment letter has been approved by the SCSU IRB; recruiting by advertisement in the campus newspaper Southern News, providing the advertisement has been approved by both the IRB and the paper's editorial board. Recruiting by phone or in person is disallowed.
If recruiting passively, external investigators must submit to the SCSU IRB:
- A narrative explaining the study for which SCSU persons are being asked to participate;
- Written plans for recruitment activities;
- A copy of any intended flyer, script or advertisement to be used in recruitment;
- IRB exemption/approval/permission from the institution at which the research originated.
Then. . .
- Wait for a date stamped copy of your approved flyer, script or advertisement, and
written acknowledgement from the SCSU IRB, indicating that you may proceed with recruitment.
- If recruiting by flyer, after return of a copy of your date stamped flyer, contact
the SCSU Office of Student Life and receive permission to post and the locations at
which you may post (203 392-5782).
- If recruiting by advertisement, after return of a copy of your date stamped advertisement, contact Southern News for permission to advertise (203) 392-6928.
Investigators from external institutions who wish to aggressively recruit SCSU students, faculty, staff or administrators, and/or conduct research on the SCSU campus must obtain an SCSU faculty, staff or administrator sponsor and submit an SCSU IRB Application Packet for Human Research Review. An IRB approval/exemption letter and/or project permission from the institution at which the research originated must accompany the proposal.
When the project has received an IRB approval from the investigator's home institution, the SCSU IRB will proceed as follows:
The SCSU IRB chair will review the proposal and apply one or more of the following options:
- Submit the proposal to full SCSU IRB review. After review, offer a disposition including
approval, disapproval or modification;
- Request review of the proposal by select members of the SCSU IRB able to evaluate
its content. The chair will make the final decision whether or not to grant permission
(not approval) for active on-campus recruiting;
- Request modifications in the active recruitment methods that will be used on the SCSU
- Consider the investigator's home institution IRB review sufficient and grant permission
(not approval) for active on-campus recruitment;
- Deny on-campus active recruitment.
An IRB Application Packet for Human Research Review may be found online at: