Job Postings Guidelines and Tips
An important aspect of the job search process is determining appropriate employers and job postings. Career Services makes every effort to review the appropriateness of jobs before posting, but site users are urged to select job sites carefully, validate job postings, use caution and common sense when applying for positions, and be alert to fraudulent postings.
The following are some guidelines and tips that students should employ to avoid applying for dubious jobs:
- Closely monitor positions that have been posted on a Saturday or Sunday; scams generally occur over the weekend
- Be concerned if you must give your credit card or bank account numbers or copies of personal documents but you get nothing in writing
- A red flag should rise if you must send payment by wire service or courier
- It is not reasonable for an employer to offer you a large payment or reward in exchange for allowing the use of your bank account - especially for depositing checks or transferring money
- Question the receipt of an unexpectedly large check
Globaltarget.com via World Privacy Forum offers the following job search safety tips as key indicators of job scams:
- Never give physical details about eye color, height, hair color, etc.
- Be suspicious if a company asks for your Social Security Number via email
- A company less than one year old should be thoroughly researched
- Use caution if the website for the company indicated by the sender's email address does not exist or is "under construction"
- A check of the domain name of the company in www.domainwhitepages.com gives highly contradictory information
- At times, notably poor spelling throughout a job ad can tip you off that there may be a problem, especially when found in conjunction with other factors such as no website, etc.
JOBS IN CONNECTICUT
- Connecticut Job & Career ConneCTion The CT Dept. of Labor is your number one source for finding a job in Connecticut.
- CTJobs This site has hundreds of job listings in Connecticut.
- Connecticut Association of Nonprofits Search this employment database for nonprofit job openings or for general information on nonprofit organizations.
- CTREAP Connecticut Regional Applicant and Placement Program is an online application program for educators, using internet technology. Teachers and administrators seeking positions in the State of Connecticut are invited to post an application. Candidates are also able to find out about openings via the postings placed online by the school districts.
- FairfieldCountyJobs helps Connecticut job seekers find local employers.
- HartfordCountyJobs and NewHavenCountyJobs help connect local jobseekers with local employers.
- Tri-State Jobs Search for jobs in Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey.
- Allcountyjobs features job search by county in CT, NY, and MA. Also featured are links to sites where you can seach for positions by specific job category.
- JobsInCT How Connecticut gets to work; search jobs and company profiles and also find job search tools such as a salary wizard and job search advice.
GENERAL JOB SITES
- Beyond.com World's Largest Network of Niche Career Communities
- Career Builder Search jobs based on category or location.
- CareerRookie.com Search engine designed for current students and recent graduates.
- collegegrad.com Designed for entry-level job seekers.
- CollegeHelpers Designed to maximize the benefits of the internet by creating a user interface that is simple and straightforward for students and employers.
- Collegerecruiter Job search site designed for recent graduates and alumni seeking career opportunities.
- Hound.com webcrawler that allows you to search multiple company web sites based on location, keyword, or company name.
- Indeed.com Simple search engine where you can enter a keyword and location and view thousands of jobs.
- jobpostings America's student job network, available in print and online. Jobpostings magazine is available at the Career Center.
- Job Web features a well-organized index of career guides and job listings.
- Monster.com on-line job site.
- Nonprofit Jobs Cooperative A collaboration of Nonprofit Management Service Organizations from across the United States who have combined efforts to create a job site by nonprofits for nonprofits. The goal of the Cooperative is to use their regional focus and local presence to provide service on a national scale.
- workplacediversity.com An extensive database of employment opportunities across all sectors nationwide. It provides a forum for those diverse candidates to connect with employers who seek them. Their easy-to-use tools are one of the most efficient avenues for proactive job search in a competitive, global world.
- WomensJoblist.com Created to give employers a tool to promote diversity and inclusion within their workplaces and to provide job seekers with easy access to those companies.
- Simplyhired.com An online employment search engine dedicated to making searching for positions simple and effective.
- TownieJobs.com Search for your dream job, or search help wanted ads by state.
- Coolworks - Volunteer opportunities for those in search of adventure.
- Idealist.org-Resource for volunteer opportunities, Employer and Non-profit organizations.
- Internhere.com - Where students and employers connect.
- Rising Star Internships - Search for an exciting internship in your major, post your resume, or check out the lastest internship postings.
- Special Olympics of Connecticut - Find information on how to volunteer for Special Olympics and become part of a unique program.
- United Way of Connecticut - Information on volunteering with the United Way
- The Connecticut Humane Society - Assist an animal shelter with general animal care or help find loving homes.
- The Connection Inc. - Various volunteer opportunities available.
- The Washington Center - Offers general internship opportunities in a variety of academic and professional areas in our nation's capitol.
- Women Make Movies - Internships available to learn the workings of Independent Film distribution at Women Make Movies. Internships available in Marketing, Publicity, Graphic Production, Filmmaker Services, Media Workshop, Distribution, or Administrative.
- AmeriCorps A nationwide service program that provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds with education awards in exchange for a year or two of community service.
- Fedworld Information Network Fedworld Info. Network has all the latest jobs available from different government sites.
- FBI Browse through the exciting job opportunities at the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Leadership Institute The Leadership Institute's free Intern Placement Service will help you find the best internship and employment opportunities in Washington, D.C.
- Studentjobs.gov Provides information on federal government job opportunties.
- U.S.A. Jobs The U.S. Government's official site for jobs and employment information provided by the United States Office of Personnel Management.
- Snagajob.com - Complete listing of part-time and hourly jobs in your area.
- Summerjobs.com - An excellent site for anyone who wants to work in Connecticut for the summer.
- Campstaff.com - A one-stop destination for information about thousands of job openings at approximately 300 of America's best summer camps.
- Conntact.com - CT Business News Journal. Find information about industries, companies and jobs.
- Computer and Communication Companies - Search this site for information about a company in the communication or computer science field.
- Hoover's Online - The ultimate source for company information! Search for information about different companies before you interview with them.
- IBM Corporation - Regular updates and news about IBM.
- Yahoo! Finance Company and Hedge Fund Index - Brings you company profiles from Market Guide, who provides users with information on over 9,000 public companies.
- Connecticut Magazine Top 100 Employers- The top 100 companies in CT and top 25 banks as ranked by Connecticut Magazine.
- PayScale- Get information about a job's salary and offers limited access to salary reports in selected professions.
- NACE Salary Calculator- useful website pertaining to salary information.
JOBS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
- Adecco International A site where job-seekers can apply online for temporary or full-time jobs in more than 50 countries
- Canadian Careerers A site for people that want to work in Canada. Includes a Canadian jobs database, a career site of the day, and a large collection of links.
- Council Exchange - With CIEE's world of opportunity you can work abroad, join a student exchange, volunteer overseas, or teach English in a foreign country.
- International Monster - Job Search Search for jobs by international location or region.
- Overseas Jobs A great resource for anyone looking for a job internationally, with more than 700 links to employment resources in more than 40 countries and regions.
- Indeed.com Simple search engine where you can enter a keyword and location and view thousands of jobs. Also see the featured countries listed on the bottom of their homepage!
- GreenJobSpider.com- a search engine that crawls the web looking for renewable energy careers. Free to use and currently tracking over 9,000 green jobs!
- TheGreenJobBank.com- The search engine crawls the web daily to provide the most current listings available from thousands of websites. The listings come from green employers, non-profit organizations, trade associations, research labs, green recruiters, and green job boards.
- Business Times
- Connecticut Post
- Hartford Courant
- Hartford, New Haven and Fairfield Advocate
- New Haven Register
- New York Times