Special Housing Requests

Information regarding on-campus housing accommodations for students with disabilities and/or chronic health conditions

The Disability Resource Center (DRC) and University Health Services works collaboratively with the Office of Residence Life in order to provide housing accommodations to students with disabilities or chronic health conditions.

For students requesting accommodations due to a documented disability or chronic health conditions:

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an individual with a disability is a person who:

  1. has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;
  2. has a record of such an impairment; or
  3. is regarded as having such an impairment

Accommodations for students with disabilities vary according to the nature of the documented disability.  To request accommodations for housing due to a documented disability, the student must first contact Deborah Fairchild of Disability Resource Center in writing to make the request. Documentation of the disability must be included with the request and a phone number where the student can be reached must be included. For Documentation guidelines, please see the Disability Resource Center's website, www.southernct.edu/drc/. Once the request is received, it will be evaluated by the Disability Resource Center.  Although priority consideration will be given to accommodate students with disabilities, it does not imply that a particular accommodation must be granted if housing is not available or if it is deemed not reasonable if other suitable options are available.  Availability of housing is limited and spaces are assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Contact:     Mrs. Deborah Fairchild
Phone:       (203) 392-6828
E-Mail:       fairchildd1@southernct.edu

Gender Neutral Housing Option

Southern Connecticut State University offers a gender neutral option to students requesting on-campus housing. Gender neutral housing is available to students identifying as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender and who may feel uncomfortable or even unsafe in traditional housing scenarios. Housing assignments are provided to these students without regard to biological sex. Students requesting gender neutral housing should contact Marvin Wilson through the Office of Residence Life.

Contact:      Marvin Wilson
Phone:        (203) 392-5870
E-Mail:        wilsonm1@southernct.edu