Recyclable Materials

Say goodbye to sorting!

Effective July 1, 2011, paper, bottles, cans and cardboard recycling can be placed in the same recycling bins. Known as "single-stream recycling," SCSU has joined the effort in changing the recycling system to collect common recyclables in the same bin. Recycling bins across campus received new labels announcing the types of commodities that can be recycled. Label replacement occured gradually throughout the 2011-2012 academic year. While bins may continue to be labeled "Paper" or "Bottles, Cans & Plastics," the campus community members can place recyclables in either bin.

There are also locations across campus, such as in the residence halls and in the Engleman rotunda, for regulated wastes (e.g. batteries, ink cartidges, etc.). The Recycling Center also holds an annual e-waste (electronic waste) collection drive.

what to recycle


 bottles and cans


 mixed paper




what about my Other items?

Batteries are considered regulated waste and should not be disposed of in the trash. Battery disposal is located on the ground floor of Facilities Operations, Engleman rotunda, and in all of the lobbies of the residence halls. Contact Tina Agentis (, Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator to arrange a pickup.

Cell Phones         
Personal cell phones are donated to Domestic Violence Services of Greater New Haven. Cell phones and chargers can be dropped off at the Women's Center in Schwartz Hall or to the Michael J. Adanti Student Center Information Lobby collection box, or in resident hall collection boxes. For additional information, please call the Women's Center at (203) 392-6946.

University owned cell phones should be brought to the Office of Information Technology Help Desk located in TE 7 where they will be reused by another employee or recycled. For more information, contact the Help Desk at (203) 392-5123.

Goodwill Industries collection boxes are located around the residence halls during the week of move out in both the fall and spring semester. Gently used clothing, shoes and household items can be placed into the container. For more information about Goodwill Industries, go to

Ink and Toner Cartridges         
Place ink and toner cartridges in original packaging. Give used cartridges to Facilities Operations delivery personnel. All ink and toner cartridges are returned to Corporate Express for recycling. To schedule a pickup, please email

Small ink cartridges may be placed in a collection box in the residence halls or the Englemen rotunda.

Light Bulbs         
To dispose of unbroken fluorescent light bulbs, give them to a custodian for proper disposal or contact the Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator at You may also place them in the collection box in the Englemen rotunda.

Students living in Schwartz Hall, Brownell Hall, North Campus Residence Complex and West Campus Residence Complex can dispose of their compact fluorescent bulbs in the CFL container located in the lobby.

A scrap metal container is located behind Facilities Operations. If your office has metal items in need of disposal, contact Heather Stearns, Recycling Coordinator at

Miscellaneous Items
Uncertain if an item is recyclable? Contact Heather Stearns, Recycling Coordinator at or (203) 392-6931 for assistance.