Fall 2013 Events
Counseling Services Events Schedule
Like us on Facebook
Building A Better You Programming Series
- Turn the Page: A New Chapter A SCSU Wednesday September 11th, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programing Space
Counseling Services is just one of the many resources available at Southern to help make your transition into this new chapter of your life as smooth as possible. Whether it is your first year or your last, learning how to navigate your academic life and your personal life is a continuous process and one that is essential in making the most out of your overall college experience. Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming and that is OK! You are not alone. Let us help you with this exciting transition as we kick off the Counseling Services Fall 2013 Building A Better You Programming Series.
- Me, Myself, and I. And Southern! Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programming Space
They say college is the time in your life where you really start to discover who you are. So why not start now? What does it mean to be you and how can SCSU help you develop into the true you? Come explore your personality, how you identify yourself, and also help to identify some of the interests that you may want to pursue during the next four years.
- Take Back the Wheel Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programming Space
Feeling Stressed out? Anxious? Do you know the difference? We are all human! Feeling worried or tense is a part of life, but when it happens on a frequent it might be time to take a look at what is really going on. This program will help you to better understand your stressors and provide strategies to better manage them.
- Life Knows How To Test You Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programming Space
Life sure knows how to test you…do you feel ready? Midterms and Finals can be a stressful time without anything extra challenging you. Learning how to balance everything can be a big help during times of stress. What are some of your unhelpful habits and what could you be doing better to manage your stress?
- Depression Awareness Week Event Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programming Space
Call Me Crazy Film Screening. This film realistically depicts how a person with mental illness and those around them can suffer as a result. Mental illnesses touch all of our lives in some way and so much burden can be lifted by replacing bias with understanding. Sponsored by SCSU Active Minds.
- A Healthy Relationship Starts With You Wednesday, October 16th, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programming Space
Would you be your own friend? Do you treat yourself the way you want your partner to treat you? How we view ourselves can have a direct impact on all of our relationships. Let’s explore our own personal views and thought patterns and see how we identify what might be holding us back from creating and maintaining happy, healthy, and lasting relationships.
- Yoga Night Wednesday, October 23rd, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programming Space
Come enjoy a free yoga and meditation night to recharge after Midterms. Please bring a yoga mat and water. Taught by Denise Zack, CYT.
- Holistic Halloween Party! Wednesday, October 30th, 2013 7-8:30pm in the Farnham Programming Space
Come celebrate Halloween with a twist! This spooktacular party has a holistic wellness spin that will be fun and insightful! Mask making, yummy (and healthy) treats, great recipes, stress balls, music and more!
- Power Down and Really Connect – Story Telling Night Wednesday, November 6th @ 7-8:30PM in the Farnham Programming Space
Everyone has a story. What’s yours? Come discover just how similar our experiences are during this exciting program where we will invite you to “power down” and work on making real connections. If you do not wish to share you don’t have to…just by listening it can be comforting to know you aren’t alone!
- Be Thankful for Being You! Wednesday, November 20th @ 7-8:30PM in the Farnham Programming Space
You are pretty wonderful, you know that? When was the last time you gave yourself a pat on the back? Before anything else, you better be sure that you are kind to yourself. Let’s change the meaning of the word “selfish” and try to see it as an opportunity to be good to you!
- #WOOF Pet-Assisted Therapy December 2013 Date and Time TBD! Check Counseling Services website for details.
De-Stress before Finals with the Registered Therapy Dogs of "Pet Partners”.