Reporting Procedures

Reporting Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence (Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence and Stalking)

A university or local Victim Advocate and/or any SART member can assist you at any point in the reporting process outlined below.

Confidential Reporting

Confidential reporting, meaning you can disclose in complete confidence, can be made to on and off campus support centers, including SCSU Counseling Services, SCSU Health Services, 24 hour hotline staff members, and clergy. See page 2 for a list of confidential SART members and local community agencies.


 Swift and appropriate action will be taken against any member of the University community who is found to have retaliated against any other memberof the University community because she/he reported Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Interpersonal Violence (Dating or Domestic Violence) or Stalking, assisted in the investigation of a Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Interpersonal Violence or Stalking complaint, or testified or otherwise participated in a proceeding or hearing relating to an allegation of Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Interpersonal Violence or Stalking within the University. Retaliation may include, but is not limited to, any form of hostility, intimidation, reprisal or harassment.

complaits student perpetrator

University Police Website            Office of Judicial Affairs Website

In cases of an alleged sexual offense, when the accused is a student, both the victim and the accused are entitled to have others present during a judicial disciplinary hearing. Please click here to see SCSU Students' Title IX Rights

employee perpetrators






University Police Website             Office of Diversity and Equity Web Site

Off Campus Incidents

To file criminal charges regarding sexual violence that occurred off campus, call the local police where the incident occurred. The police will investigate the crime and determine the criminal charges. Then the State's Attorney will decide whether or not there is enough evidence to prosecute. This can result in a trial or plea bargain.

The Women & Families Center: Sexual Assault Crisis Services has court victim advocates that are available to support you during this process. For further information, call (203) 624-4576. The University Police and University Victim Advocate will assist the student in these cases, if requested, and able according to University Policy and state law.

 Restraining Orders and Protective Orders

 The University Police Department will keep protective and restraining orders on file in accordance with State regulations. Any victim/survivor of a sexual assault or domestic violence is strongly encouraged to contact the University Police to verify that they have received from the court a copy of any protective or restraining order filed on their behalf. The University Police Department will accept copies of any protective/restraining orders that can be properly verified

Restraining orders differ from protective orders in that restraining orders are civil and can be issued without the accused person being arrested. Protective orders in a family violence situation are criminal and are issued after the accused has been arrested for committing a family violence crime. Both types of orders must be issued by the court.

 Victims are strongly advised to report any violations of these orders to the University Police at 203.392.5375. If the violation of a court order is an emergency situation, DIAL 911 IMMEDIATELY.

For more information on filing an application visit