procedures for reporting a sexual offense

We are concerned about the safety of all University Community Members. Sexual harassment and  Sexual violence (sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking) are not acceptable behaviors in our community and  is a violation of the law and the University's Student Code of Conduct. The University is  committed to providing prevention education, support services to our survivors and holding perpetrators accountable. Click here for students' rights concerning sexual violence on campus.

Reporting Procedures
Reporting sexual harassment and sexual violence is the survivor’s choice. Every survivor’s experience and life circumstances are different and the choice is theirs. If a survivor chooses to report they can file criminal charges and/or file charges with the Judicial Office if the perpetrator was a student or with the Office of Diversity and Equity if the perpetrator was a Southern employee. Assistance/Advocacy (see below) is available for all survivors upon their request for charges filed criminally and on campus.

Filing Criminal Charges
1. If you wish to press criminal charges, notify the police. For an incident that occurred on campus, call the University Police at (203) 392-5375 or 911 if you are in immediate danger. If the perpetrator is a SCSU employee, you may file a sexual harassment complaint with the Office of Diversity & Equity at (203)-392-5491 or at this page click here.
2. If the incident occurred off campus, call the local police where the incident occurred. The police will investigate the crime and determine the criminal charges. Then the State's Attorney will decide whether or not there is enough evidence to prosecute. This can result in a trial or plea bargain. The Women & Families Center: Sexual Assault Crisis Services has court victim advocates that are available to support you during this process. For further information, call (203) 624-4576. The University Police and University Victim Advocate will assist the student in these cases, if requested, and able according to University Policy and state law.

Silent Witness Program
This program is designed so that students, faculty and staff can report suspicious activity and crimes via the Internet while remaining anonymous. If you have witnessed a crime, or if you know of a crime that was committed or will be committed, please click here to fill out and submit the form. A member of the SCSU Police Department will investigate the information provided. You will not be contacted unless you provide your contact information. All tips remain anonymous. Click here for more information on the Silent Witness Program .
Please keep in mind this program is intended to assist the SCSU Police Department and is not intended for crimes in progress or for emergencies. Dial (203) 392-5375 in those instances.

Filing Charges on-campus with the Office of Judicial Affairs
The SCSU Office of Judicial Affairs is responsible for ensuring a fair, just and impartial judicial process for students charged with violation of a law in connection with conduct that also violates the provisions of the Student Code of Conduct. The office also provides education and resources to foster respect and civility among all members of the university community. Call (203) 392-6188 or for information click here.

University Disciplinary Procedures Regarding Sexual Misconduct
In cases of an alleged sexual offense, when the accused is a student, both the victim and the accused are entitled to have others present during a judicial disciplinary hearing. You may:
1. Be accompanied to any meeting or proceeding by an adviser or support person of your choice, provided that the adviser or support person does not cause a scheduled meeting to be delayed or postponed
2. Present evidence and witnesses on their behalf
3. Be informed in writing of the results of the disciplinary proceeding no later than one business day after it concludes and retain the right to appeal the decision in accordance with disciplinary procedures.
4. Have their identities kept confidential, except as necessary to carry out a disciplinary proceeding or as permitted by state or federal law.
You have the right to request that disciplinary proceedings begin promptly and know that the proceeding must be conducted by an official trained in issues relating to sexual assault and intimate partner violence. The judicial process will use the “preponderance of evidence standard” (i.e., whether it is more likely than not that the alleged incident occurred.)
Following a final determination of responsibility when the allegation involves a rape or other sexual offense, the university judicial officer may impose any sanction or combination of sanctions, including expulsion. Disciplinary proceedings under this Code may be carried out before, during or after civil or criminal court proceedings against the accused student.

Restraining Orders and Protective Orders
Restraining orders differ from protective orders in that restraining orders are civil and can be issued without the accused person being arrested. Protective orders in a family violence situation are criminal and are issued after the accused has been arrested for committing a family violence crime. Both types of orders must be issued by the court.
The University Police Department will keep protective and restraining orders on file in accordance with State regulations. Any victim/survivor of a sexual assault or domestic violence is strongly encouraged to contact the University Police to verify that they have received from the court a copy of any protective or restraining order filed on their behalf. The University Police Department will accept copies of any protective/restraining orders that can be properly verified.
Victims are strongly advised to report any violations of these orders to the University Police at
203-392-5375. If the violation of a court order is an emergency situation, DIAL 911 IMMEDIATELY.
For information on filing an application for a restraining click here.

Assistance/Advocacy for Survivors
The SCSU Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART) provides a collaborative victim-centered
team response to sexual assault that ensures a transition from victim to survivor for every
individual whose life is affected by sexual violence. SART team members representing the
Women’s Center, University Counseling Center, Health Services Department, Office of Student
Affairs, Office of Student Life, Multicultural Center, Office of Judicial Affairs, Public Health Department
and Office of Residence Life provide a survivor with many supportive options including
counseling, medical attention, judicial services, advocacy, referrals and general information
regarding sexual assault. If a survivor chooses to file a police report, the University Police
Department and the Women’s Center staff will assist that person with the reporting process,
empowering the survivor to make their own decisions by providing on- and off-campus
resources and offering support as needed. The SART members can assist you in obtaining an
order of protection, applying for a temporary restraining order, or seeking enforcement of an
existing order. Southern Connecticut State University shall not disclose the identity of the complainant
or the accused, except as necessary or as permitted under state or federal law.
Assistance with on-campus living arrangements, classes, work schedule and other accommodations following an incident will be provided to whatever extent possible and reasonable.
For more information click here.

Medical Attention- Confidential Services
If you go to the hospital for a forensic exam you will also receive medical care. If you chose not to go to the hospital care is available to you at University Health Services on Wintergreen Ave. Granoff Student Health Services staff includes physicians, nurse practitioners and registered nurses.
A comprehensive sexual assault exam can be performed for both men and women. Health Services also provides free screening for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia, as well as low cost 15 minute HIV testing.
Emergency contraception is offered after a sexual assault and is available at health services. The sooner it is taken the more effective it becomes.
Please call health services at (203) 392-6300 or come in and fill out our "reason for visit" form. All calls and visits are confidential.
For local hospital emergency room contact information click here.

Counseling Services - Confidential Services
Call University Counseling Services at (203) 392-5475 , the Women and Families Center of Greater New Haven: Sexual Assault Crisis Services 24-hour hotline -- 1-888-999-5545 (English) or 1-888-568-8332 (Spanish) or (203) 235-4444 (out of State), and the Umbrella Center for Domestic Violence Services at (203) 736-2601 for a free confidential counseling appointment. The normal reactions to sexual violence can make you feel very uncomfortable, and counseling can help you heal sooner and more completely.
The psychological and emotional trauma caused by sexual violence can be severe and long-lasting. Because people react in very different ways to stress, it is not possible to predict exactly how you will feel. It may be helpful for you to know some of the most common responses of sexual violence survivors. Some common reactions include: shock and disbelief, remembering what happened and what it felt like (includes flashbacks and nightmares), experiencing intense emotions, physical symptoms, feeling fearful, and or feeling guilt, shame, and self-blame.
Each person is unique. Although many survivors experience similar reactions, there are still individual differences in how they respond to the trauma of sexual violence. You may experience some or all of these symptoms. They may occur immediately, or you may have a delayed reaction weeks or months later. Certain situations, such as seeing the assailant or testifying in court, may intensify the symptoms or cause them to reoccur after a period during which you have been feeling better.
Some survivors feel that if they avoid talking about the incident, they will be able to forget about what happened to them. Most survivors who try this approach eventually realize that they need to deal with the incident. Their unresolved feelings and fears hold them back from enjoying their lives and participating fully in relationships. Talking about the incident can help relieve some of the control it has over you and help you begin the process of recovery. We recommend that survivors seek professional counseling as soon as possible to begin the healing process. Therapy provides a safe, private place to deal with your feelings and concerns. A counselor can also help you deal with the reactions of family members, partners and friends.