Legal Action

If you are the victim of a sexual assault, the following options are available to you:

  1. If you wish to press criminal charges, notify the police. For an assault that occurred on campus, call the University Police at (203) 392-5375 or 911 if you are in immediate danger.  If the perpetrator is a SCSU employee, you may file a sexual harassment complaint with the Office of Diversity & Equity at (203)-392-5491 or at this page.
  2. If the assault occurred off campus, call the local police where the assault occurred. The police will investigate the crime and determine the criminal charges. Then the State's Attorney will decide whether or not there is enough evidence to prosecute. This can result in a trial or plea bargain.  The Women & Families Center: Sexual Assault Crisis Services has court victim advocates that are available to support you during this process.  For further information, call (203) 624-4576.

Restraining Orders and Protective Orders

Restraining orders differ from protective orders in that restraining orders are civil and can be issued without the accused person being arrested. Protective orders in a family violence situation are criminal and are issued after the accused has been arrested for committing a family violence crime. Both types of orders must be issued by the court.

The University Police Department will keep protective and restraining orders on file in accordance with State regulations. Any victim/survivor of a sexual assault or domestic violence is strongly encouraged to contact the University Police to verify that they have received from the court a copy of any protective or restraining order filed on their behalf. The University Police Department will accept copies of any protective/restraining orders that can be properly verified.

Victims are strongly advised to report any violations of these orders to the University Police at (203) 392-5375. If the violation of a court order is an emergency situation, DIAL 911 IMMEDIATELY.

Information on filing an application for a restraining order can be found by visiting: