What To Do If A Friend Is The Survivor Of A Rape
- Listen-do not judge.
- It is not your place to play prosecutor and prove her story. Accept her version of the facts and be supportive.
- Offer shelter.
- If it is at all possible, stay at her place or let her spend at least one night at your place. This is not the time for her to be alone.
- Give comfort.
- She has been badly treated. She needs to be nurtured.
- Let her know that she is not to blame.
- This is crucial. Many rape survivors blame themselves. She needs to be reassured that the rapist is to blame, she is not.
- Encourage Action-
For example, she can call a hotline, go to the hospital, and/or call the police.
- Do not be overly protective.
- She needs to make her own decisions and be in control of her life and this is not possible if you do everything for her.
*Information provided by the Greater New Haven Sexual Assault Crisis Services