Parking Changes - Fall 2013
As you are aware, work is under way this summer on two major construction projects – the renovation of the original portion of Buley Library and site preparation for the new academic and laboratory science building. While this is welcome news for our community, it does mean that adjustments will have to be made in campus parking, as Lot 2 (in front of Jennings Hall) and a large portion of the main Faculty-Staff Lot off Fitch Street are now unavailable for commuters.
Based in part on recommendations from the university parking committee to the President’s Cabinet, the following changes are to be implemented in time for the start of the fall semester:
FOR FACULTY AND STAFF:
- The first row (closest to Engleman Hall) of the main Faculty-Staff Lot will now be designated for reserved parking only. Four spaces in this area will be available for short-term parking of 15 minutes duration for the unloading and loading of materials and supplies.
- The remaining spaces in the second and third rows of the main Faculty-Staff Lot will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that, under Southern’s revised Master Facilities Plan, this area will eventually be developed into the main entrance for the university and all parking will be reserved only.
- To avoid congestion in the main lot, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to park in either the Fitch Street Parking Garage (the first floor is designated for faculty and staff; the rest is open to faculty, staff and students), or the Wintergreen Parking Garage, which offers 1,200 unreserved spaces. Regular shuttle service will be available from the Wintergreen garage to Engleman Hall.
- Faculty and staff parking will also be available in Lot 12 (by the School of Business), Lot 12B (the former site of Seabury Hall), and Lot 5 (behind the Lyman Center/Earl Hall – for Lot 5 faculty-staff permit holders only).
- To improve public access to enrollment management services in the Wintergreen Building, all parking alongside Wintergreen and Moore Fieldhouse will be for visitors only. The area behind Wintergreen will be designated for reserved parking only. All other employees working in Wintergreen should park in the new Wintergreen garage.
- The West Campus Parking Garage will be available for all students on a first-come, first-served basis. Commuter student parking is also available in Lots 3, 8 and 9 on Farnham Avenue, as well as in the Wintergreen and Fitch street parking garages.
- Graduate students may park in all commuter lots and Lot 1 behind the Fitch Street Garage. After 4:30 p.m., graduate students may also park in Lot 5 (behind the Lyman Center), and Lots 12 and 12B (enter from Crescent Street). Please note that Lot 12A is off-limits due to construction
- Surface parking in Lot 6, adjacent to the West Campus Residence Complex, has been returned to the use of residence hall students only.
- Due to construction needs, the dogleg section of Lot 9 on Farnham Avenue is now unavailable for commuter students. Parking in this area is open to students with handicapped parking permits and residence life staff only.
As the academic year begins, University Police will monitor traffic flow and minor adjustments will be made to ensure that this new parking plan operates efficiently. If you have suggestions about additional ways to improve parking at Southern, please provide your ideas on the “Your Parking Ideas” form .
We understand that life can seem hectic during the first few weeks of the semester, and we thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation as we implement this new parking system.
Additional updates will be provided as the semester progresses.
James E. Blake
Executive Vice President