Undergraduate Program

How Do I Apply to an Undergraduate Program?

Students accepted to the university may apply to any program. The basic requirements are explained here. The first step is to learn more about the program. Our department holds informational meetings and works closely with the the First-Year Experience program to identify qualified candidates for teaching.

What Classes Do I Have to Complete Before I Apply to the Undergraduate Program?

Students must complete the following classes before applying to the program:

  • EDU 200: Principles of Education
  • SED 225:  Introduction to Exceptionalities
  • MAT 105:  Mathematics for Elementary Education
  • ENG 112: Composition II.

Principles of Education (EDU 200) and Introduction to Exceptionalities (SED 225) should be taken concurrently. Your EDU 200 instructor will help students interested in applying navigate the process.

Do you Offer Advising to Students Interested in Applying to Undergraduate Programs?

Early advising greatly impacts your success in our undergraduate programs. You can meet with a pre-acceptance adviser anytime during their office hours to learn more about becoming a certified teacher.

If you are interested in applying and need to register for classes you can sign up for an advising session. Prior to class registration we post sign-up sheets in front of the Education Department office in Davis 106.

The current pre-advising faculty are: Dr. Bower-Phipps, Dr. Goldberg, Dr. Marx, and Dr. McVerry.

Do I Have to Take the Praxis I Before I Apply?

Yes. Students who do not qualify for the waiver must pass Praxis 1 prior to the admission deadline. We must receive your score report from ETS by the admission deadline. See the Praxis I page for more information.

Where Can I Find Study Tips for the Praxis I?

Test preparation booklets on reducing test anxiety, study tips, and the Top 10 Questions asked by Praxis Candidates are available on the ETS website.

How do I Change my Major to Education?

Many students frequently decide a career in education will be more rewarding than the career paths offered by their current major. If you want to change your major to education you should meet with a pre-advising faculty member.

They will ensure your change in majors makes the most sense in terms of your current credits and major. If you are well into your program it may even make greater sense to finish your initial major and apply to the Graduate School.

Are Scholarships Available?

Yes. Financial awards include:

There are also department specific scholarships that will be advertised on the website.

Graduate Program

How Do I Apply to a Graduate Program?

We work directly with students to create a seamless process to apply to our programs. Applicants should schedule an initial meeting with a graduate coordinator. We will examine your transcripts and tell your more about the program.

To learn more contact Dr. Villani, the graduate program coordinator.

What Programs Do You Offer That Lead to Certification?

We offer three programs for candidate who already hold a bachelor's degree.

  • Collaborative Early Childhood and Special Education (with certification in Birth to Kindergarten or in Nursery to Grade 3)
  • Certification in Elementary Education
  • Master of Science in Education with Elementary Certification

What Programs Do You Offer for Certified Teachers?

We offer a Master of Science in Education degree for teachers looking to continue their education.

The program is designed with the working teacher in mind. Classes are offered in person, as hybrid, and online. You will work with a graduate adviser to customize a unique plan of study to meet your professional needs.

Has the State Changed the Regulations about Master's Degrees?

The state recently passed Public Act 12-166, Section 36(g), now codified as Connecticut General Statutes (CGS), Section 10-145b (g), which states that:

“On or after July 1, 2016, to qualify for a professional educator certificate, a person who holds or has held a provisional educator certificate… shall hold a master’s degree in an appropriate subject matter area, as determined by the State Board of Education, related to such teacher’s certification endorsement area.”

The State Board of Education has yet to define "master’s degree in an appropriate subject matter area," and they are offering a grandfather clause which states:

Educators who already hold a Connecticut educator certificate PRIOR to July 1, 2016, will not be impacted by the new master’s degree requirement for that certificate, provided no lapse in certification occurs.

What 6th Year Professional Diplomas Do You Offer?

SCSU's Education Department offers teachers who have a master's degree a unique approach to completing their 6th year certificate. You can specialize as a classroom teacher specialist or an educational coach.

  • 6th Year Professional Diploma/Classroom Teacher Specialist: Do you want to specialize in a specific content area? Become an expert in the instructional shifts required by the Connecticut Core Standards? Learn emerging pedagogies in digital teaching and learning? The Classroom Specialist program allows you to customize your program. Classes are offered year-round in person and online.
  • 6th Year Professional Diploma/Educational Coach: Schools rely on educational coaches more and more each year. If you want to take on leadership roles in your school without leaving the classroom you should learn about our innovative program.

Are the Programs Nationally Accredited?

Yes. The National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) has recognized our university as a nationally accredited teacher preparation institution. NCATE accreditation reflects positively not just on the College of Education and the university as a whole, but on its students as well. Having teacher certification from an NCATE-accredited institution means that you have successfully completed a program recognized nationally for its highest quality standards of rigor and effectiveness.

What is Fieldwork?

Fieldwork is synonymous with field experience. You'll notice that many Education courses are listed with a "fieldwork component." This means that in addition to the time you spend taking that course, you will also be expected to spend a certain number of hours at a school where you will observe and eventually participate in classroom instruction.

Students contact the school where they are interested in doing their fieldwork, and make arrangements for visitations. Different courses require different levels of participation, with the goal that as students learn more they will gradually become comfortable with leading a classroom. Fieldwork is different from student teaching, which takes place when all program requirements are completed and the student is almost ready to graduate.

What is Matriculation?

For an undergraduate, being matriculated means that you have applied to and been officially accepted into Southern Connecticut State University.

For a graduate student, matriculation means that you are not only accepted into the university, and the College of Education, but that you have also completed a Planned Program Form with your adviser that has the approval and signature of the Graduate Studies office.