Lou Irvin Award
The Greater New England Alliance of Black School Educators is seeking to further the
higher education opportunities among qualified juniors and senior students of color who
are residents of Connecticut and have been accepted into the School of Education. It is our desire that through this financial assistance, some area young person, who might not otherwise have been afforded the opportunity, might gain advanced educational training. Further, it is our hope that with this education, the individual will be able and
obliged to contribute to the betterment of the area, the country and indeed the world.
Scholarship Information & Award Application
Southern Scholarship Program
- The SCSU Alumni Association has over 180 scholarships available for Southern students; over 50 scholarships available in the School of Education. For scholarship and application information please go to the SCSU Alumni Scholarship Program.
- The Zeta Chapter of the Delta Kappa Gamma Sociey International-Alpha Kappa State of Connecticut has established a grant in the memory of Marguerite McKay, a longtime New Haven teacher and principal. Miss McKay dedicated many years to the youth of New Haven. Click here for more information.
Minority Teacher Incentive Grant or Weisman Scholarship - Funded by the Connecticut Department of Higher Education
- The Minority Teacher Incentive Grant Program provides up to $5,000 per year for two years of full-time study to minority students enrolled as undergraduates in Connecticut teacher preparation programs. This grant will also provide an additional $2,500 per year toward student loan reimbursement for those graduates who go on to teach in Connecticut public elementary or secondary schools. The Weisman Scholarship provides the same opportunities for minority students who are enrolled in teacher preparation programs for Mathematics and Science Education.
Alma Exley Scholarship Program
Alma Exley Scholarship Program - This private family fund seeks to encourage more students of color to become teachers by awarding a single-sum scholarship of $3,000 or more. Juniors, seniors or graduate students who have been admitted to a teacher-preparation program should complete their applications by October 31. For more information: www.almaexleyscholarship.org
Elizabeth Doyle Memorial Scholarship
- The Elizabeth Doyle Memorial Scholarship is designed to assist North Haven residents who wish to pursue a bachelor's or master's degree in teacher preparation. Click here for scholarship information and application.
Delta Kappa Gamma: Two Scholarships Available
- The applicant must presently be a junior at SCSU, a resident of Connecticut and admitted into a teacher education program. Financial need is not a criterion.
- Helen Moroney Recruitment Grant: $500 awarded to a junior at SCSU
- Rheta Lange Recruitment Grant:$500 awarded to a junior at SCSU
Greater New England Alliance of Black School Educators (GNEABSE)
- GNEABSE: Lou Irvin Scholarship Program - This will be offered in an attempt to aid juniors and seniors in college who have been accepted into the School of Education. Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to deserving students of color from Connecticut.