MSW Application Materials and Information
MSW ADMISSIONS STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
To be considered for graduate study in Social Work, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.5 and an average of 3.0 in the social sciences (Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology and Political Science)
- Twenty semester hours in liberal arts, which may include Sociology, Psychology, and a combination of Political Science, Economics, History and Anthropology
Applicant files are reviewed using the following criteria:
- Evidence of strong academic potential to perform successfully at the graduate level
- Evidence of potential for professional competence, strong interest and motivation, and commitment to social work values
- Evidence of personal qualifications essential for professional competence for social work: maturity, capacity for self-awareness, concern for the needs of others, ability for abstract reasoning, conceptual thinking, and strong communication skills
- Evidence of paid human service experience and/or volunteer involvement
- An applicant to the MSW Program must uphold the values of the social work profession and demonstrate a commitment to the promotion of well-being of clients, high standards of practice, and the general welfare of society
The Department of Social Work Admissions Committee will only review applications that have been submitted with all the required materials by the application deadline. The deadline to apply for Fall 2017 admission is December 14, 2016. The department does not accept late applications or admit in the Spring; the next admission period will be for Fall 2018.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all necessary materials are received by the School of Graduate Studies by the deadline. Please send all application materials to the School of Graduate Studies; sending materials to the Social Work Department may delay receipt of your application.
The Department of Social Work Admissions Committee does not grant personal interviews for admission consideration.
Please note: No admission decisions are given by telephone. You will be notified by email.
- Personal Statement and the signature sheet
- Waiver of Access Form
- Two (2) Recommendation Letters on the designated forms and with letters on letterhead.
- Application for MSW program now included in Graduate School application