English Language Pathways Program students are eligible to apply to waive the English language requirement. This page will outline the steps to apply for the waiver.
International students are normally required to provide proof of English proficiency before being admitted into degree programs at Southern Connecticut State University. Undergraduate applicants must have a minimum TOEFL score of 72 or a minimum IELTS score of 6. Graduate applicants must have a minimum TOEFL score of 80 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5.
English Language Pathways Program students are eligible to apply to waive the language requirement. Applicants must still meet all other requirements for program admission as outlined by SCSU Admissions.
Students who are successful in their waiver applications will not need to take the TOEFL/IELTS tests and can be admitted into Southern degree programs. There are several steps involved in applying for the waiver:
- Submit a completed Language Requirement Waiver Application to the ELPP Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a Waiver Request Letter that would include the following:
- Justification for TOEFL/IELTS waiver
- Brief explanation of the student’s progress in the program
- Brief description of the student’s aspiration for a degree program at Southern.
- The letter should be about one page long and addressed to the ELPP Coordinator.
- The ELPP Coordinator (Dr Jennie Schindel) will then work with the ELPP Curriculum Lead (Dr Elena Schmitt) to review the student’s progress in the English Language Pathways Program and to assess whether they have achieved the level of proficiency required for the program they wish to apply for. The review process will include:
- Consideration of ELPP instructors’ recommendations
- Assessment of the student’s written work
- Review of Michigan entry and STAMP exit test scores
- An interview with the student to assess oral proficiency
Information for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents
TOEFL/IELTS test scores are not required for admission of U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents into SCSU degree programs.
However, all domestic undergraduate students are required to submit SAT/ACT scores to determine English placement. If you did not take the SAT/ACT tests, you can submit this language requirement waiver in place of taking the SAT/ACT tests.
For graduate degree programs, students are not required to submit SAT/ACT or TOEFL/IELTS test scores and therefore a language requirement waiver is not necessary for applications to graduate programs.