The Office of Career and Professional Development reviews all employer and job postings on JOBSs. We highly encourage you to thoroughly review a company before applying to any position of interest. If you are searching for jobs, please be sure to review the company or ask the OCPD staff for assistance.
- Do not give your personal bank account, PayPal, Venmo, Zelle account or credit card numbers to a new employer.
- Do not agree to have funds or paychecks direct deposited into any of your bank accounts before you have started working for them. Most employers give the option of direct deposit or a paycheck on the first day or week of actual employment, on site-not before.
- Do not forward, transfer, send by courier (e.g. FedEX, UPS) or “wire” any money to an employer or for an employer, using your personal account.
- Do not transfer money and retain a portion for payment.
- Do not respond to suspicious and/or “too good to be true” unsolicited job emails/phone calls/texts/etc.
- In general, applicants do not pay a fee to obtain a job (but there are some rare exceptions-so be careful and consult with a professional at the Center for Career Development first).
- Watch out for grammar and spelling mistakes.
- If the scammer is asking you to email another account or fill out a form that is outside of their business email account.
- Telling you have been hired for a job before submitting a resume, or have not been interviewed for a company that you do not remember applying to.
- Do not meet an employer for an interview at a suspicious location and/or time.
- If you are going on a job interview, be sure to let a friend or family member know when, where, and with whom you are meeting. Provide your friend or family members the name of the company and the name of the person you are meeting, address of the interview, and company contact information such as a phone number and email.
Let us Know @ firstname.lastname@example.org