Placement Exams Transfer Students
Transfer students (full-time and part-time)
- ENGLISH: If you have transferred in credits for ENG 110, 111, or 112 you do not need a placement for English compostion. If you did not transfer in any of the three English composition courses listed, your English placement will be assessed by the Academic Advisement Center based on the following guidelines:
- If you transfered in 2 semesters or more of college credits, but have not transferred in an English composition equivalent and have an overall college GPA of a 2.5 or lower, you will be placed in ENG 110.
- If you transferred in 2 semesters or more of college credits and have transferred in an ENG Transfer Elective and have an overall college GPA of a 2.5 or better, you will be placed into ENG 112.
- MATH: If you have transferred in credits for MAT 095, 100 or greater, you do not need to take the math test placement. (SAT scores may not be used for placement by transfer students). If you have not transferred in math credits you should register for an on campus math placement test by clicking here. You may not take a math placement if you have transferred in math or after you have taken a math course at Southern.
- WORLD LANGUAGE: Proficiency in a language other than English is required to graduate from SCSU. In order to demonstrate that proficiency in a language other than English has been achieved, you will take a standardized STAMP (Standardized-based Mesurement of Proficiency) test and will pass it at the Intermediate Low Proficiency level. Students who do not pass the test and do not wish to repeat it may take a 300-level course in their target language, passing with a grade of C or better will satisfy the proficiency requirement. If you plan to learn a new language, you may simply begin by taking the level one course. If you are not proficient in a foreign language and therefore not ready to take the STAMP test, you may take the online placement to learn which class level you are eligible. For more information, you may refer to the