Is it an Allergy?
Is it a Cold?
Is it The Flu?
Allergy, Cold & Flu Comparison Chart
Self-care treatment for seasonal allergies include:
- Benadryl for occasional symptoms (per directions on bottle) this will cause drowsiness
- A non-drowsy anti-hystamine like Claritin or Zyrtec (per directions on bottle). This is more effective if taken daily, beginning about a week before your symptoms begin.
- A nasal decongestant will reduce the runny nose
- Pet Dander
- Dust Mites
- Grass Pollen / Tree Pollen / Weed Pollen
- Indoor Allergens (Mold, Dander, Dust)
- Outdoor Allergens (Plant pollen, Mold, Mildew, Air pollution, Dry & Windy Weather Conditions)
Self-care treatment for Colds & most Flu include:
- Tylenol or Advil for discomfort and fever (per directions on bottle)
- Sudefed or a non-ephedra nasal decongestant for nasal congestion (per directions on bottle)
- Robitussin or Mucinex DM for cough (per directions on bottle)
If over the counter medications do not help you, please call 203-392-6300 to make an appointment to see a provider for further treatment options.
Antibiotics do not treat cold, flu or allergies!
Updated April 2010