PROTECTING YOUR VEHICLE-
Did you know that-
* Over one million vehicles are stolen each year and that a vehicle is stolen every 23 seconds?
* Vehicles are stolen for four basic reasons: joyriding; transportation; to commit other crimes; for commercial gain primarily through chop shops?
* According to VINshield, New Haven-Meriden ranks fourth in auto theft in
with 346.77 vehicles per 100,000 residents?
* According to State Farm, the vehicles most often taken are Honda Accord,
Camry and Nissan Maxima? Per VINshield,
Camry, Honda Accord and Chevy Full-size Pickup top the list.
Any vehicle can be taken either by a professional working solo or by amateurs working in pairs or groups. You can decrease the likelihood of that happening by exercising the following safeguards:
Never leave your vehicle running and unattended. Take your keys with you.
Lock your vehicle when it is not occupied and keep all windows closed.
Keep all valuables, including cash, out of plain view if you are unable or unwilling to bring them with you.
Take registration and insurance information along with gas card receipts with you when not in the vehicle. A stolen vehicle could easily lead to a theft at your residence.
If you see any suspicious activity at or near your vehicle, report it immediately to the police and do not confront any stranger.
Invest in a security device for your vehicle. Some insurance companies offer discounts for participation in some cases.
Some available safeguards include Lojack, vin-etching, fuel cutoffs, ignition column guards, hood and door locks, steering wheel locks, guard plates for trunks, key-operated wheel locks, pedal jacks, the Club, and radio security devices.
Additional information can be found at the National Insurance Crime Bureau website or www.autotheft.info or contact university police at 25375.
- Reference and statistical information courtesy of VINshield and State Farm -