Computer Science Major
The Computer Science major is designed to prepare students for positions as computer scientists and software developers with industry and government, or for graduate study in computer science and related fields. We are proud to have our Computer Science curriculum (often referred to as the CS-General major) accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET. To learn more about why ABET accreditation is important to us, please visit ABET's site.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO's):
- Graduates will be able to analyze, design, implement and evaluate computer-based solutions.
- Graduates will be able to communicate, collaborate and present computing solutions using current technology in an effective and professional manner.
- Graduates will be able to engage in continuing professional development and life-long learning.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the global and local societal impact of computing, including professional, ethical and social responsibilities.
Student Outcomes (SO's)
Students graduating from this major are expected to achieve the following outcomes:
- The ability to analyze a computer based solution in software and hardware,
- The ability to design a computer based solution in software and hardware,
- The ability to implement and evaluate a computer based solution in software and hardware,
- Demonstrate an understanding of the local and global societal impact of computing,
- Demonstrate awareness of professional, ethical and social responsibilities related to computing,
- The ability to communicate effectively (written & oral),
- The ability to function effectively on teams,
- Demonstrate recognition of the need for life-long learning and professional development.
Check out the curriculum for our ABET accredited Computer Science major.