The Psychology department offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in Psychology. At the undergraduate level, we offer a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with either a general focus or a specialization in mental health, and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with tracks in Behavioral Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, and Assessment & Applied Psychology. At the graduate level, we offer a 30-credit Masters of Arts in Psychology.
Please explore our site to learn more about our programs and our opportunities for students.
Engleman Hall D 069A
Phone: (203) 392-6868
Fax: (203) 392-6805
Welcome to our new faculty member, Dr. Christopher Budnick!
Dr. Budnick is an Industrial/Organizational psychologist and does research on topics including workplace stress and well-being, workplace
incivility, job search effort (especially with college students), and job interview
before emailing the department chairperson, PLEASE CHECK HERE TO SEE IF THERE'S an
answer to your question
Looking for Faculty Office Hours?
Do you need permission for a Psychology course?
Fill out this form, which will send your request to Dr. Brancazio
If a course you want to take is filled and you want permission to overenroll:
• Contact the professor of the class for permission, with the following exceptions:
** PSY 431: Email Dr. Durwin, email@example.com
** PSY 461: Email Dr. Carroll, firstname.lastname@example.org
** Courses taught by a part-time instructor: Email Dr. Brancazio, brancazioL1@southernct.edu, or Dr. Durwin, email@example.com
Do you want to switch to a different catalog year?
You may need to switch your catalog for one or more of these reasons:
• You just returned to SCSU after an absence, and you want to follow the curriculum rules from when you first started at SCSU (for example, the older Gen Ed requirements or older Psychology requirements)
• You want your degree evaluation to reflect changes to the Psychology major that went into effect after you started (for example, the revised BS in Psychology that started in Fall 2016
• You want to take advantage of changes to the LEP that go into effect in Fall 2017. For Psychology majors, these are:
-- You can skip one of the following Tier 2 categories: American Experience, Creative Drive, Cultural Expression, Global Awareness, Social
Structure, and Time & Place.
-- If you transferred with 30-59 credits, you can waive the World Language requirement if you took two semesters of a language in college (e.g. SPA 101), or three levels' worth in high school (e.g. equivalent of SPA 200)
-- If you transferred with 60 or more credits, the World Languages requirement is waived.
If you want to switch for any of these reasons:
Fill out this form, which will send your request to Dr. Brancazio.
*** If you have between 30-59 transfer credits and you hope to waive the LEP World Language requirement, you need to also submit the LEP WLL Waiver Request Form to the LEP office. You may need to include additional documentation regarding high school courses. (This is separate from our departmental request form.)
*** If you are changing your catalog year for any other reason (including if you have 60+ transfer credits and want a WLL waiver), you only need to submit the request form to Dr. Brancazio.
Do you have questions about advising?
Click here to go to the Advising page.
The page has links for advising signups, and information about pre-acceptance advisors. You can also find out who your primary Psychology advisor is on this page.
If you are an accepted Psychology major in the General major, Mental Health specialization, or the BS in Psychology program, make an appointment with your advisor.
If you are a Psychology minor or IDS student with a Psychology concentration, you can contact either Dr. Durwin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Stiver (email@example.com) for advice.
Do you want to declare a major in Psychology?
- Learn more about the major here
- Read about the process of declaring a major here
- Fill out the online Selection of Degree form. You can select either Psychology, BA: Concentration - Pre-Psychology or Psychology, B.S.: Concentration - Pre-Psychology. (Note: you might be interested in the Mental Health concentration. You can select the specialization after you've been accepted into the major.)
- Fill out this survey form
Do you want to switch your specialization within Psychology?
- Do a what-if analysis in Banner to see what requirements you have left
- If you want to switch to the Mental Health specialization or the BS program, print
out an Specialization Acceptance Agreement form, schedule a meeting with the director
of the specialization program to complete the form with them, and bring the completed
and signed form to the Psychology office. (If you are switching to the General program,
you can skip this step)
You can download the Mental Health Acceptance Agreement form here. The Mental Health specialization director is Dr. Kraemer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can download the B.S. Acceptance Agreement form here. The B.S. specialization director is Dr. Carroll, email@example.com.
- Fill out the Psychology department’s online request form to switch specializations.(This will send an email to the department chairperson, Dr. Brancazio, who will handle the request.)
If you've declared Psychology but you're not eligible for acceptance yet, and you want to switch between the B.A. in Psychology (General) and the B.S. in Psychology
- Consult with a Psychology advisor before requesting this switch
- Fill out the online Selection of Degree form.
If you've declared Psychology but you're not eligible for acceptance yet, and you want to switch to the Mental Health specialization:
Wait until you’re accepted into the Psychology major before requesting this switch
Do you need to apply for acceptance, or have questions about the acceptance process?
Do you want to declare a minor in Psychology?
- Decide if you want the minor in General Psychology or the minor in Psychological Science [click here for more info]
- Email Dr. Durwin or Dr. Stiver with questions
- Submit the Selection of Degree program form
- If you’d like to do the Psychological Science minor, contact Dr. Durwin or Dr. Stiver for help
Do you have questions about participating in a research study in Psychology?
Click here to go directly to the SONA system login page.
Do you need tutoring for a Psychology class?
Are you thinking about applying to SCSU and majoring in Psychology?
- Go to this page for information about our programs
- Email PsyChair@SouthernCT.edu with questions
Are you thinking about transferring to SCSU and majoring in Psychology?
- Go to this page for information about the transfer process
- Email PsyChair@SouthernCT.edu with questions