Assistant Professor of Foreign Language Certification
Telephone: (203) 392-7127
Office: Engleman Hall D-172
Ph.D., Germanic Studies, University of Texas at Austin, 2008
M.A., German Studies, University of Cincinnati, 2003
- Second/foreign language acquisition and pedagogyTeacher training
- Cross-cultural awareness, critical thinking and their assessment
- Filmic media in the FL classroom
- Modern German literature, film and culture
Selected Presentations and Workshops
- "Flatpanel Textbooks? - Promoting Cultural Literacy and Interlanguage Development Through Film," with Alexandra Pßkh-Kelly, American Council for Teachers of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Conference, Orlando, FL, Nov. 22, 2008
- "Assessing Outcomes of Teaching and Learning Cultural Analysis," Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum 2008 Conference, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, Oct. 16, 2008.
- "Who got the (Hi)story Straight? Or the Dialectic of the Private and the Public and its Consequence for Differences of Perception of Historical Events in Germany, Pale Mother," 61st Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, Lexington, KY, April 17, 2008.
- "Watching Culture - Using Current Television Shows for Teaching Culture and Language," College Board AP Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, July 14, 2007
- "Relaxed Patriotism? Reflections on the 2006 Soccer World Cup," Germanic Department Lecture Series, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, April 25, 2007.
- "From Fictionalization to Sensationalization: 19th Century German Emigration Guides to the United States of America," South Central Modern Language Association (SCMLA) Annual Convention, Houston, TX, Oct. 27-29, 2005.