Professor of Italian
Telephone: (203) 392-6753
Office: Engleman Hall D-159
Ph.D., Yale University
Member of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences
Medieval and Renaissance Italian literature; Italian modern novel; and links between Italian and Spanish literature.
Savoring Power and Tasting the Times: the Metaphor of Food in Medieval and Renaissance Italian Literature. Notre Dame University Press, 2013.
- "Utopian Worlds: Vico, La Capria, and Mazzotta." Essays in Honor of Giuseppe Mazzotta. Supplement to MLN. January 2012, 33-41.
- "Fiorinetta Food of Freedom: Morgante XIX." Table Talk in the Middle Ages. Christiana Purdy, Ed. (New York and London: Cambridge UP, 2011), 111-125.
- "Why did the Monkey Kill the Giant? Another Look at Margutte's Death," Quaderni d'Italianistica, Fall 2010, 35-50.
- "Transformative Imagery in Dante: Inferno XXV and Purgatorio XXV." Faith and Fantasy in the Renaissance: Texts, Images and Religious Practices. Olga Z. Pugliese and E. M. Kavaler, Eds. (Toronto, CA: Center for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, 2009), 29-42.
- "Not Only Who They Were but What They Ate: Food and Courtly Ideals in Don Quixote." Don Quixote the First Four Hundred Years. Zenia Da Silva, Ed. (Lima, Peru: University of San Marcos Press, 2009), 59-70.
- "Kings, Hermits, and Lovers: Banquets and Diets in the Decameron." Food and History, Vol. 4. N. 2, Spring 2008, 151-162.
- "Banquets and Power: The Politics of Gastronomy." Quaderni d'Italianistica, Spring 2006, 21-29.
- "Food in War: L'Agnese va a morire." Nemla Italian Studies vol. XXV-XXVI, Fall 2005, 63-77.
- "Politics, Passions, and Art: Pontano's World." Renaissance Society of America, NY, NY, April 2014.
- "Boccaccio's Cimone: The New Man on the Block." American Boccaccio Society, Washington DC, October 2013.
- "Appetite for Knowledge and Prescribed Diets: Alibech's Story." 48th International Congress on Medieval Studies. Kalamazoo, MI. May 2013.
- "Homemakers and Partisans: Italian Women and War." Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven, January 14, 2009.
- "Ladies and Giants at the Table: Pulci's Morgante." Renaissance Society of America, Chicago, April 2008.
- "Faith and Fantasy, God and Man: Purgatorio XXV and Inferno XXV." Faith and Fantasy in the Early Modern World. Center for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, Toronto, ON. October 2007.
- "Nuns, Pleasure, and Food in Aretino's Dialoghi." Renaissance Society of America, Miami, March 2007.
- "How Italian is Taught Today, How It Will Be Taught Tomorrow." Yale U. October 27-29, 2006.
- "Hermits, Husbands, and Lovers: Moderation and Excesses at the Table in the Decameron." Institut EuropΘen d'histoire et des cultures de l'alimentation, Tours, France, February 2006.
- "Banquets and Power in the Renaissance." Renaissance Society of America, Cambridge, England, April 2005.