Lorrie Stoops Verplaetse
Professor of TESOL and Bilingual Education
TESOL Program Coordinator
TAT Program Director
Telephone: (203) 392-6759
Office: Engleman Hall D-170
Ph.D., Boston University: Applied Linguistics
M.S. Ed., Syracuse University: Foreign Language Education
B.A., University of Illinois: Liberal Arts, Russian
Second Language Acquisition, Classroom Discourse, Interaction
- Verplaetse, L. S. (2014). Using big questions to apprentice students into language-rich classroom practices. TESOL Quarterly, 48(3), 634-643.
- Verplaetse, L. S. (in press). Language arts and the Common Core State Standards. (Chapter 6.6). In G.Valdes, K. Mencken, & M. Castro (Eds.) Common Core and ELLs/emergent bilinguals: A guide for all educators. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Publishing.
- Verplaetse, L.S., Ferraro, M., & Anderberg, A. (2012). Collaboration cubed: Isolated mainstream teachers become ESL experts to school systems. TESOL Journal, 3(3), 350-372.
- Verplaetse, L.S. (2008). Identifying the ZPD: Finding the learner's voice. Academic Exchange Quarterly., 12, 179-184.
- Verplaetse, L.S. (2007). Developing academic language through an abundance of interaction. In L. Verplaetse & N. Migliacci (Eds.) Inclusive pedagogy for English language learners: Research-informed practices. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Publ.
- Verplaetse, L.S., Migliacci, N., Doyle, K., & Osses, C.. (2005). Mainstream Teachers + Sheltered Instruction = Engaged English Language Learners. Thresholds in Education (Volume XXXI, January, 2005), pp. 4-15.
- Verplaetse, L. S. (2001). How content teachers allocate turns to limited English proficient students. Journal of Education 183 (1): 19-35.
- Verplaetse, L. S. (2000). Mr. Wonder-ful: Portrait of a dialogic teacher. In J.K. Hall & L.S. Verplaetse (Eds.), Second and foreign language learning through classroom interaction. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Publishers.
- "Helping ELLs Read and Comprehend Academic Text." Peer reviewed. Co-presented with Marisa Ferraro. International TESOL Conference, Dallas, TX, March, 2013.
- "Apprenticing Students into Language-Rich Classroom Practices." Peer reviewed. Invited paper in Colloquium entitled "Understanding Academic Language." International TESOL Conference, Dallas, TX, March, 2013.
- "Structuring Small Group Work Develops Academic Language." Peer reviewed. International TESOL Conference, New Orleans, LA, March 17, 2011.
- "What School Leadership Can Do to Improve Education for ELLs." Peer reviewed. Co-presented
with Marisa Ferraro, & Jessica Schumacher. International TESOL Conference, New Orleans,
LA, March 19, 2011.
- "Aligning Data-Driven Decision Making to Sheltered Instructional Strategies." Peer reviewed. Co-presented with Marisa Ferraro, Cris Bowman, & Natina D'Ambruoso. International TESOL Conference, Boston, MA, March, 2010.
"Academic Language in Secondary-level Standards and Classrooms." Invited Webinar Presentation, copresented with K. Anstrom, P. DiCerbo, and M. Ferraro, NCELA (National Council on English Language Acquisition) and George Washington University, June 19, 2009.
"Data Analysis and Best Practices for ELLs." Invited presentation co-presented with M.Ferraro for CT State Dept. of Education, Data Analysis Conference, May 13, 2009.
"Finding Students' Academic Voice through Teacher Talk and Interaction." Invited presentation, International TESOL Conference, Denver, CO, March 26, 2009.
"Developing Academic Language through Interaction and Output in Secondary Classrooms." Peer reviewed. Co-presented with Marisa Ferraro, International TESOL Conference, Denver, CO, March 26, 2009.