Assistant Professor of Spanish
Phone: (203) 392-6764
Ph.D., Washington University in St. Louis
M.A., Peking University
B.A., Peking University
Dr. Weng's research interests include wartime childhood memories in post-Franco Spanish literature and cinema, Mao-era childhood memories in contemporary China, and China images in 20th-and 21st- century Hispanic literatures and cultures. She is currently working on the project of "Sino-Hispanic encounters in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries." More specifically, she examines how Mao-era China constructed and promoted its image in Spanish-speaking countries and how this image has been reconstructed over and over again in literature and culture.
- "'Franco's Children': Childhood Memories and National Politics in Spain's Democratic Transition." Childhood and Nation: Global Identities, Local Subjectivities. Ed. Millei, Z. & Imre, R. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. (Revised and resubmitted)
- "The Myth of Mao's China in Sonríe China." Arizona Journal of Hispanic Cultural Studies. (Forthcoming)
- "Una memoria de la infancia nacional-católica: nostalgia, parodia y la fuerza catártica." VIII Congreso Internacional de la Asociación Asiática de Hispanistas. July 17-19, 2013. Shanghai, China.
- "Mourning, Parody and Wartime Childhood Memories." Journal of PLA Art Academy [解放军艺术学院学报]2(2013). 12-35.
- "Una memoria de la infancia nacional-católica: nostalgia, parodia y la fuerza catártica." VIII Congreso Internacional de la Asociación Asiática de Hispanistas. Shanghai, China. July, 2013.
- "Localization and Internationalization of 'Franco's Children'." The Annual Conference of American Comparative Literature Association. Toronto, Canada. April, 2013.
- "Images of China in Spanish Travel Literatures under the Franco Regime." The Annual Mid-American Conference on Hispanic Literature. Lincoln, Nebraska. October 2012.