The Department of Recreation, Tourism, and Sport Management at Southern Connecticut State University offers an Accelerated Pathway Program to individuals interested in completing their Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees within five years with a concentration in Recreation Therapy. You will gain the professional skills necessary to be an effective clinician. A combination of didactic coursework and practicum experience prepares students to work in both clinical and non-clinical settings.
- Complete both degrees in only five years
- Graduate courses are offered in the evenings, as well as hybrid and on-line to accommodate personal and professional responsibilities
- The only Accelerated Pathway Program in Recreation and Leisure Studies available through the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) system
- Save six credits of tuition by completing both degrees at SCSU
- Receive requisite training for the diverse array of career opportunities in health care-related recreation therapy
- This program prepares graduates to meet the requirements of the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)
- Graduates have a 95% passing rate for the Therapeutic Recreation Certification exam**
Who Should Apply
Outstanding students seeking an advanced degree are encouraged to apply for admission to the Accelerated Pathway Program. Recreational Therapists possess a wide range of skills including compassion, leadership, interpersonal communication, resourcefulness, and patience. This program prepares students for clinical and community positions working to help improve the quality of life for people with disabilities and illness.
Professionals with graduate-level experience are more competitive upon entering the workforce. The Recreation and Leisure Studies Accelerated Pathway Program prepares graduates for exciting career pathways as recreation workers or therapists.
Work settings include health care facilities, municipal recreation departments, wilderness adventure programs, and federal, state or local government. Students gain practicum experience at affiliated agencies and hospitals including Yale New Haven, West Haven VA, Hartford Hospital Institute of Living, and Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center.
The job market for recreation workers is expected to grow by
9% by 2026.***
*Based on 1-year full-time graduate tuition
**National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification
***Department of Labor
Dr. MaryJo Archambault