New Student Applicants are students who are in the process of completing secondary/high school or who have never attended a post-secondary college/university.
The application process for international students is timely. It is highly recommended that you begin five months prior to the start of the semester you wish to attend. Please note that the fall semester begins late-August and the spring semester mid-January. Below is a checklist of application requirements:
- Online application: This includes a 500 word personal essay and a $50 application fee (payment is made by credit card - American Express, Discover, and Master Card)
- Document-by-document evaluation of high school record: Evaluation agency must be a member of NACES - List of acceptable evaluation agencies. For questions about the evaluation process, please contact the agency directly. If your transcript is in English, an evaluation is still required to determine diploma equivalency.
- Proof of English proficiency: TOEFL, IELTS, Certificate of completion from ELS Academic English Level 112, SAT, or ACT
- GPA: The average grade equivalency for incoming new students is a 2.7 on a 4.0 U.S. grading scale or what is equivalent to a letter grade of a B-
- English proficiency minimum scores: TOEFL - 72 iBT/525 paper; IELTS - 6; Certificate of completion from ELS Academic English Level 112; SAT - 900 (combined critical reading and math only); ACT - composite score of 19
- Submit the Common Application for admission. You will receive a confirmation email from the Admissions office once we have received your application.
- Submit all required documents to the Southern Admissions office. Official documents, including transcript evaluations, are required to complete and process your application file. To be considered "official", the document must be sent from the institution directly to the Southern Admissions office.
- Check your Admissions Status online in the Admission Portal
- Allow 2-3 weeks for submitted documents to be processed.
- Allow 3-4 weeks once application is complete for an admissions decision.
- A decision e-mail will be sent to the email address you provided on your admission application.
- Allow 3-4 weeks for a hard copy of a decision letter (and transfer credit evaluation(s) for transfer students) to arrive to an international address
- If accepted, e-mail Michael Schindel (email@example.com) to proceed with the paperwork needed to begin the visa process
- Once your visa is approved, follow the instructions in the acceptance letter to proceed with your “Next Steps”
- A non-refundable $200 confirmation deposit is required to reserve an enrollment spot at SCSU (first of the online “Next Steps”)
Once you have been admitted to the university, you will need to complete and submit additional information to the Office of International Education including, but not limited to the International Student Enrollment Form. Please contact Mr. Michael Schindel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-392-5454.