SCSU Institute for Adapted Sports and Inclusive Recreation
To be the regional leader in educating, facilitating, promoting, and evaluating adapted sport and inclusive recreation opportunities for persons with disabilities.
Our mission is to continuously strive to improve services and increase opportunities for persons with disabilities to participate in and experience adapted sport and inclusive recreation activities. We will implement this through the discovery of new knowledge by engaging in research and creative activities; providing relevant educational opportunities via traditional and non-traditional platforms and experiences; providing and facilitating opportunities (competitive sports, club sports, intramurals, and recreational sports); and advocating for increased opportunities within the least restrictive environment.
- To engage in research to disseminate best practices in adapted sports and inclusive recreation through publications, trainings, and workshops.
- To provide programmatic opportunities (competitive through recreational sport).
- To collaborate with regional, state, and local adapted sports organizations and recreation agencies to provide greater awareness of resources, and to promote opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
- To advocate for increased opportunities, and support legislation that promotes sport and recreation participation for individuals with disabilities.
- Jim MacGregor, Ed.D., C.T.R.S.
- Mary Jo Archambault, Ed.D., C.T.R.S.
- Mike Dodge, M.S.
- Patricia Paugas, M.B.A, C.T.R.S.
Institute Advisory Board
- Katie Jollie – Program Director, Gaylord Adaptive Sports
- Dr. Ted Faye – Professor, SUNY-Cortland
- Ryan Martin – Ryan Martin Foundation
- Janet Connolly – Program Director, Hospital for Special Care Adaptive Sports
- Martin Torresquintaro – New Haven Parks and Recreation
- Steve Emt – USA Paralympic Athlete
- Paul Weiland – Chapter 126 (Oak Hill School), Adaptive Physical Educator & Athlete
- Yetsa Tuakli-Wosornu, M.D., M.P.H., Assistant Clinical Professor, Yale School of Public Health; International Olympic Committee Working Group on the Prevention of Harassment and Abuse in Sport
- Carlos Quilles – COTA, Paralympic Athlete
Community Partners (to date)
- Gaylord Hospital Sport Association
- Hospital for Special Care – Adaptive Sports
- Chapter 126
- New Haven Department of Parks and Recreation
- Board of Education Services for the Blind
- Leaps of Faith
- Dylan’s Wings of Change
- ASD Fitness
- Miracle League
- Ken’s Krew Inc.