As you continue your journey to Southern, please complete the steps below to access your email (required), take your English and math placement assessment (required), schedule advising appointment and your orientation session (required), submit your health form (required), and explore your options for on-campus housing, paying for college, and visiting campus.
If you have any general questions, please contact Orientation, Transition and Family Engagement at 203-392-5189 or email
Spring 2022 Next Steps: see below
Fall 2022 Next Steps: Available after January 19, 2022
Within your Admissions portal, complete the SCSU Reply Form.
Full Time Students are required to submit a $200 non-refundable enrollment deposit to secure your placement in Orientation and course registration.
How to Activate your MYSCSU account:
Using your SCSU username/email address provided in your Admissions portal, click here to activate your MYSCSU account.
Your initial password will be set to: SCSU!mmddyy (month, date and year of your birth)
Check your SCSU Email using the Outlook App
SCSU Email is the official means of communication from the university. It is your responsibility to check it frequently.
Contact SCSU IT Helpdesk if you have trouble logging in.
The English placement assessment is a 30-minute online exercise used to place students in an appropriate English course. Once you login, you will read a short opinion piece from The New York Times and write a paragraph summarizing its argument. There is no passing or failing – the results are used only to place you in an English course that is best for you. You do not need to study for the assessment, but it would be helpful if you can set aside the full 30-minutes in a quiet place that is free from distractions. Click here to learn more about English placement.
The Math placement assessment covers topics that mostly range from arithmetic to algebra, but can also be used to place into precalculus and calculus. The placement assessment is completed using ALEKS PPL, an adaptive, online learning and assessment platform. The placement assessment can have up to 30 questions and generally takes 60 – 90 minutes to complete. Students may retake the placement assessment after spending time in the ALEKS platform reviewing topics. Click here to learn more about math placement.
If you have completed any Advanced Placement (AP) exams, please send your official scores from the College Board directly to SCSU Admissions. If you have completed any Early College Experience (ECE) classes, please send official transcripts directly from the college or university (e.g., University of Connecticut or Gateway Community College) to SCSU Admissions. Credits from AP and ECE cannot be granted based on high school transcripts.
All new first-year students are required to attend an Academic Advising meeting and a New Student Orientation session. During your Academic Advising meeting, you will meet one-on-one with an advisor to discuss your major interests, courses for your first semester, and other academic information. At the end of this meeting, you and the advisor will build your first-semester schedule!
- Click here to complete your New Student Survey and Orientation Registration.
- Schedule Your Academic Advising Meeting
- Allow for 5 days between completion of your English and Math placement assessments and your advising meeting. We will not be able to create a schedule of courses for you without receiving your assessments from those academic departments.
- Click the "Schedule Your Academic Advising Meeting" link below.
- Under "What type of appointment would you like to schedule?" select "Academic Advising & Faculty Office Hours".
- Under "What support or service would you like to schedule?" select "New First-Year Student (Freshmen) Advising"
- Follow the remaining directions within the scheduling system
- If you have any challenges signing up for your advising meeting or need help cancelling or rescheduling, please click here to contact Academic Advising.
- CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISING MEETING
- Complete Major Exploration Tool: Whether you are totally undecided, confidently declared or somewhere in-between, it’s best to explore your options before fully committing to a major. Students who make the effort to explore are more likely to choose a major that aligns with their interests and are ultimately more successful! Please be sure to complete Phases 1 and 2 of the Major Exploration Tool prior to your academic advising meeting, as your results will be discussed with an advisor! Click here to complete your Major Exploration.
- Attend your academic advising meeting. You will build your class schedule together with an advisor. You will not be able to attend your orientation session until after you have met with your academic advisor.
- Attend your New Student Orientation (NSO). There will be one virtual NSO on Tuesday, December 14th and one on-campus NSO on Wednesday, January 5th.
All matriculated (degree seeking) students are required to submit the Connecticut State University Student Health Services Health Form and COVID-19 Immunization Requirements by January 1st for the Spring semester and August 1st for the Fall semester.
- Visit Student Health Services Forms to download the form and view instructions. This includes immunization requirements
- All SCSU students are also required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to participate in the Spring 2022 semester.
- Completed forms and COVID vaccine requirements can be uploaded to the Health Services Portal by logging in with your Username and the password you created for MySCSU. Your SCSU Student ID and Username are listed on your Application Portal.
Contact Student Health Services with any questions.
As you continue to make important decisions about your college journey, you’ll be deciding how you will experience Southern’s campus. Living on campus offers exciting experiences, new opportunities for growth and unparalleled convenience.
We hope you choose to live on campus with us. To apply for housing and pay your $250 housing deposit go to your MyHousing portal and follow the steps below.
- Log on to your MySCSU
- Click on "BannerWeb"
- Select "Student Services"
- Click on "Housing"
- Click on "Click here to proceed to MyHousing Portal"
- Next to the Residence Life logo on the top left click on the three lines
- Click "Applications"
- Click on "Housing Application and Deposit"
- Complete the application and pay the $250 non-refundable housing deposit
Click here to see all that residence life has to offer!
Office of Residence Life
T: 203.392.5870 I F: 203.392.5867 I E: email@example.com
Note: All incoming First-Year and Transfer students cannot submit a housing deposit until they have submitted a $200 admissions deposit.
Financial aid is funding that is intended to help students pay for tuition and fees, room and board (or living expenses, if commuting), transportation, books and supplies.
- If you plan on applying for financial aid but have not done so please follow the instructions outlined in The Financial Aid Process.
- If you have applied for financial aid you can check the status of your financial aid package, accept your award and complete any requirements.
Remember the FAFSA is a free application and will not ask you for payment.
- Meet one on one with SCSU's free Financial Literacy Advisor, Lew Deluca, who will go over payment plan options, financial aid and scholarship opportunities. Learn how to maximize your educational investment!
The Student Accounts Office is primarily responsible for student billing, payment, refund, and veteran enrollment certification processing. Many services may be completed online.
Visit the Student Accounts website for:
- Tuition and Fees
- Bill Due Dates and Payment Options
- Payment Plans