Fall 2021 Summer Orientation Sessions for First-Year Students
Orientation, Transition & Family Engagement is excited to invite students to register for a Summer Orientation Session. First-year Students (freshmen) who will be attending Southern Connecticut State University in the Fall of 2021 must register for orientation in order to be pre-registered for their first semester classes. All first-year students are required to attend an orientation session prior to start of their first semester. These one-day sessions will be held on-campus on the dates below from 9am to 5pm. Students are required to attend one of these sessions in its entirety. *
Register as soon as possible! All sessions below will be held from 9am to 5pm. Students should select a day that allows them to participate until the end and does not interfere with other obligations including work, classes, exams, graduations, celebrations, etc… Space in each session has limited capacity and due to COVID guidelines we will NOT be able to expand capacity in any session. For students traveling from out-of-state or from a distance that may need accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday, June 17th
- Friday, June 18th
- Monday, June 21
- Tuesday, June 22*
- Friday, June 25th-
- Saturday, June 26th
- Monday, June 28th *
- Tuesday, June 29th
- Friday, July 16th
- Saturday, July 17th
- Monday, July 19th *
- Tuesday, July 20th
Click here to view the day’s schedule
*Students who would like to participate virtually should select a date identified with an asterisk
(*). Please note that students participating virtually will need a device with a camera and understand that they will be expected to participate form 9am to 5pm.
How to Schedule an Orientation Session:
Schedule an orientation session by going to the Undergraduate Admissions Portal, clicking on Next Steps and clicking on the “Schedule Orientation” tab. After selecting a session (date) students will answer important questions that will help our Academic Advising team create a Fall 2021 course schedule. Students will be asked for the following information:
- Anticipate Major
- Information regarding AP scores or college courses taken in High School
- Students must provide their own mask and wear it (properly) at all times unless they are eating or drinking.
- Activities will follow all physical distance guidelines.
- Indoor and outdoor capacities will meet required university guidelines.
- Only students registered for the program and staff will be permitted to participate in the program and all activities. (No guests) For information regarding Parent/Family Orientation, please visit https://www.southernct.edu/orientation/parent-family-orientation .
Guidelines may change based on CDC, state and university guidance.
- Meet their peers and begin to make social connections.
- Participate in a group academic advising presentation with an Academic Advisor.
- Learn how to prepare for the Fall 2021.
- Meet their Orientation Ambassadors.
- Learn about valuable resources necessary for academic, personal and career success.
- Begin to understand Southern technology that will be important throughout their college careers..
- Meet other new first-year student and begin to build relationships with your new classmates.
- Learn what it means to be an institution committed to access and social justice.
What to Bring:
- Please be sure to bring your SCSU email address, email password, Student ID number, and MySCSU password. This will be important information that you will need for different portions of New Student Orientation.
- At least two masks as they will be required to be worn throughout the day.
- An electronic device (laptop, tablet if possible). We will have a limited number to loan students for the day.
- Comfortable dress and walking shoes. Approximately half of the day will be spent outside so please prepare for the weather.
- A light breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided at no cost. We recommend bringing extra beverages and a water bottle.
How to Prepare for Orientation
- In order for students to be registered for their fall 2021 courses by the Academic Advising Team they must register for New Student Orientation AND complete their Math and English Placement Exams.
- Visit https://inside.southernct.edu/academic-placement/firstyear for more information regarding the Math and English Placement Exams, deadlines and how to schedule your exams.
Continue Checking Next Steps
Information regarding parking, meeting locations, the day’s schedule, etc.. will be provided in a confirmation email and posted on this website. Visit Frequently Asked Questions for Orientation for details on how to prepare. For more information about Orientation, please contact Orientation, Transition & Family Engagement at email@example.com or call (203) 392-5189 between 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday.
Follow New Student Orientation!
Whether you are an avid “tweeter” or would just like to receive regular updates, please follow us! In addition to posting important information, we will be running contests and utilizing our page for fun activities!
Join the OFFICIAL SCSU Class of 2025 Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/owls2025)! Please be aware of other Facebook groups that are NOT sponsored by Southern. This group is specifically designed for all of you! You’ll have to answer two membership questions to join but here is the hint, Southern’s mascot is the Owl and we are located in New Haven!
Learn How to Access the Next Steps Portal
The Next Steps portal will allow you to register for orientation, apply for housing, and complete some of the necessary components to becoming a Southern Owl! Learn how.