Orientation for First-Year Students (Freshmen) is designed to assist incoming students as they acclimate to college life at Southern, learn about academic advising and course registration, become familiar with the number of resources that support student success, and meet their peers.
The summer orientation program is informative, helpful, and full of Southern spirit! Orientation begins with summer/winter orientation sessions and New Owl Welcome (the days leading up to the first day of class) and continues throughout the first year with extended orientation experiences, varying programs, experiences, and through partnerships with the First-Year Experience Program.
- Begin to make social connections with their peers.
- Participate in a group academic advising presentation with an Academic Advisor.
- Meet with an Academic Advisor for individual advisement.
- Register for first semester courses.
- Learn how to prepare for the first semester.
- Meet Orientation Ambassadors.
- Learn about valuable resources necessary for academic, personal, and career success.
- Begin to understand Southern technology that will be important throughout a college career.
- Virtual NSO: Tuesday, December 13, 2022, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- In-person: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
How to Schedule an Orientation Session
- Visit the New Student Orientation 2023 Registration system.
- Select your Orientation Session.
- Use your Admissions Portal credentials to log in and complete the registration form.
- Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email to your personal and Southern email address.
How to Prepare for Orientation
- Continue to visit the Next Steps page
- Register for an Orientation Session.
- Establish your Academic Placement as soon as possible.
- Learn how to check SCSU email
- Upload your picture for your student ID
- Follow orientation on social media
- Know what to bring
- All first-year students (full-time and part-time) must establish a placement level in English and Mathematics before they can register for Fall semester courses..
- Students should visit Academic Placement for New First-Year Students as soon as possible to learn more and to begin the process of establishing their academic placement.
Students will continue to receive information to their personal email address until they attend orientation. However, it is extremely important that they are checking their Southern email regularly as well for important information. Visit Next Steps and click on “Set-up your SCSU Email Account” for more information.
Students will receive an email for the SCSU Card Office with a unique link to upload their picture to the system. In order to guarantee receiving a Student ID (Hoot Loot) at orientation, students must upload your picture.
All new students are enrolled in Digital Orientation which can be accessed via Blackboard (MySCSU > Blackboard > Organizations > Digital Orientation). This asynchronous platform is specifically designed to complement virtual and in-person programs. Through Digital Orientation, students can learn more about the resources and opportunities available to students. New students will be enrolled in segments once they have been registered for courses.
- SCSU email address, email password, Student ID number, and MySCSU password. These are important for different portions of New Student Orientation.
- An electronic device (laptop, tablet if possible). We will have a limited number to loan students for the day.
- Comfortable dress and walking shoes. Portions of the day will be spent outside so please prepare for the weather.
- All meals and snacks will be provided at no cost. We recommend bringing extra beverages and a water bottle.