Thank you for being a Day of Caring Advocate!
We are grateful to have your support as we prepare Southern’s Day of Caring on April 4, 2023! We know that we can rely on you to connect with your classmates, teammates, friends, families, and peers to encourage everyone to give on or before April 4, 2023!
To become an Advocate, you must act! What does that look like? Some ideas:
- Share your personal Giving Link with your Southern network. This could be via email, text message, or social media posts! Scroll down for examples.
- Create and share a Personal Plea video.
- Offer a March or Challenge through the campaign page.
Before we begin, remember:
- Always use your personal donation link via the sharing buttons on the campaign page! The link to the giving page will be provided to everyone via email and social media once the day is announced but we encourage you to share your own link from your GiveCampus account so you can be made aware of how many gifts you generated with your personal link.
- Don’t forget to include the hashtag #SCSUDayofCaring and #ONESouthern
Email: Are there people you could shoot a quick email? Think about writing those emails now so they are ready to go when you wake up and have your morning coffee.
Text: Giving at your fingertips! What’s more fun than a group text? Are there classmates you haven’t talked to that you would love to catch up with? Fellow parents? Now is an easy time to connect! Mobile donations are quick and easy!
Social Media Posts: Create your own posts leading up to the day and on the day of to show others you’ve participated! Posts with images, videos, emojis, and other multimedia typically attract more attention than text-only.
Personal Plea: A Personal Plea is a video in which an Advocate tells their community why they’re getting involved with the campaign and why others should step up, too. Tell your Southern story and inspire others!
Send a Text
It’s Southern’s Day of Caring! I hope you will take a moment and give back to our <<Fund of Choice>> fund! A gift of any amount counts. The gift with the most funds during the 11 a.m. – Noon Power Hour will get an additional $2,000! Let’s do this! #SCSUDayofCaring #ONESouthern <<your personal donation link>>
Send an Email
Email Example: To Parent/Guardian
Hi [NAME] or [Class of XXX],
Today is Southern’s Day of Caring!! Our entire community comes together as ONE to show our school pride as we reach toward 2,000 donors strong! I hope you will join me in making a gift of any size today. Your contribution directly impacts the Southern experience for students and the faculty who support them every day.
<your personal donation link>
Thank you. GO OWLS!
PS – There are a TON of matches and challenges running, so your gift will go farther than any other day this year!
Email Example: To Alumni
Today is Southern’s Day of Caring!! Our entire community comes together as ONE to show our school pride as we reach toward 2,000 donors strong! I hope you will join me in making a gift of any size today. Your contribution directly impacts the Southern experience for the current generation of Owls and the amazing faculty who support them every day.
<your personal donation link>
Thank you. GO OWLS!
PS – There are a TON of matches and challenges running, so your gift will go farther than any other day this year.
Post to Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter)
Here are some example posts and captions.
- I might be [x] miles from Southern, but it’s never far from my ❤️! Join me in giving back today. <LINK> #SCSUDayofCaring #ONESouthern
- To me, being an Owl means <xyz>. That’s why I made a gift today to the #SCSUDayofCaring. I hope you’ll join me. <LINK>
- Join the #ONESouthern community to make a powerful impact on a single day - #SCSUDayofCaring. <LINK>
- I’m excited to support SCSU every day, but especially today on #SCSUDayofCaring! <LINK>
- Southern gave me the skills and confidence I needed to succeed. For #SCSUDayofCaring, I’m giving back to help provide the same opportunity for current students. <LINK>
- A small act of kindness can make a big impact. Join me in helping Southern reach 2,000 donors on #SCSUDayofCaring! <LINK>
- Have you supported #SCSUDayofCaring? Join in and see the leaderboard at <LINK>!
- Current Southern Owls, the alumni community has your back. Together as ONE, we you! 🦉 <LINK> #ONESouthern #SCSUDayofCaring
Inspire your friends, classmates, teammates, and family to give!
A Personal Plea is a video in which an Advocate tells their community why they’re getting involved with the campaign and why others should step up, too. The most popular format for Pleas is simply a short selfie video recorded on a cell phone! Personal Pleas can be uploaded via the campaign ‘Advocates’ tab. After you upload your Plea, the Advancement team will review, approve, and post! A button to watch the video will appear next to your names on the campaign’s Advocates tab.
- Introduce yourself: Tell viewers who you are and your connection to Southern.
- Make it personal and tell a story: Tell the viewer why you are passionate about Southern and why they should be, too.
- Make an ask! Ask the viewer to contribute to Southern’s Day of Caring and to share it with friends.
- Keep it snappy: People have short attention spans. We recommend that videos last no more than 60 seconds.
- Let your excitement shine through! Bring some energy!
- Use good light: Natural light is best, so go outside if you can. A cloudy day is perfect for filming outside. If filming inside, light up the room as much as possible or film next to a sunny window. The more light, the less grainy your footage will be. Also, the background should be relatively plain.
- Audio is important: Choose a quiet location to film so that listeners will hear your voice, not distracting background noise.